Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jju
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

We would like to bootloader our XMC4400 board using USB.

Are there any windows tool and target source code for this ?

Best regards

Jakob

0 Likes
1 Solution
nin
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted First like given

Hi @jju ,

"The internal ROM bootloader will need to load its data from a device either UART or something."

Yes, correct, UART will be used.

As there is no support for USB in XMC4400, you cannot use a USB port with the XMC4400.

nin_1-1702538266799.png

Please refer to  XMC4400 Reference Manual.

Best regards,

Nin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
nin

Hi @jju ,

The Infineon MemTool is a Windows-based software for on-chip flash programming. The software supports a wide range of Infineon Microcontroller devices including XMC4000, XMC 1000, XC2000, XC800.

According to the capabilities of the on-chip flash device, MemTool can be used to erase, program, verify, and protect selectable flash sections or perform these functions on the complete program and data flash areas.

MemTool provides ready-to-use configuration files for the complete range of Infineon Microcontroller evaluation boards and application kits and allows PC/Windows USB -2-target connections via DAS and UART. DAP and JTAG connections to the target system can be performed in line with the Infineon external miniWiggler.

You can download MemTool [here]https://www.infineon.com/dgdlc/en?dcId=8a8181663431cb50013431cb500b0000&downloadTitle=Infineon-Memto...

More information can be found [here]https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-TOOL_Tutorial_Memtool_XMC1-TR-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46252...

Could you tell me what you mean by source code here? Are you talking about flasher? Could you mention your exact requirements in detail?

You can use XMC Flasher, a flash programming tool for Infineon XMC Microcontrollers.

You can download it from [here] https://softwaretools.infineon.com/tools/com.ifx.tb.tool.xmcflasher2?redirId=159477.

Best regards,

Nin

0 Likes
jju
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you for your reply. 🙂
As far as I understand the XMC4400 is not delivered with a bootloader in ROM or pre-programmed into flash.

So it would need some bootloader program, that can communicate with the Memtool and do the actual programming ? 

Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Best regards

Jakob

0 Likes
nin

Hi @jju 

XMC4400 contains on-chip BOOT-ROM. Please refer to section 8.2 Boot ROM (BROM) of the XMC4400 Reference Manual.

Best regards,

Nin

0 Likes
jju
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
Can't belive that I missed that. 🙂
If I understand correctly, this should work using UART but not USB ?

0 Likes
nin

Hi @jju ,

What do you mean by "it should work using UART but not USB"? Please clarify your question in detail.

Best regards,

Nin

0 Likes
jju
Level 2
Level 2

The internal ROM bootloader will need to load its data from a device either UART or something.

So was just asking if it could use USB port ?

Btw. what UART pins are used by the ROM bootloader ?

0 Likes
nin

Hi @jju ,

"The internal ROM bootloader will need to load its data from a device either UART or something."

Yes, correct, UART will be used.

As there is no support for USB in XMC4400, you cannot use a USB port with the XMC4400.

nin_1-1702538266799.png

Please refer to  XMC4400 Reference Manual.

Best regards,

Nin

0 Likes