Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
victxus
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I am wondering wheter it is possible to upload new firmware to XMC4000 microcontrollers by its USB or UART channel. If so, Could anyone guide me on how to do it?

I do not need to debug any code, just upload new firmware.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Owen_Su
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi, @victxus ,

The firmware for the XMC1000/4000 series onboard debugger  is provided by J-LINK(Segger), and we cannot share it with you. So it's difficult for you to design the on-board debugger yourself.

And if you add a USB to UART converter, you can use corresponding tool to upload the firmware, it depends on the converter firmware you are using. For XMC Flasher, it supports SEGGER and DAP.

Owen_Su_0-1691480457230.png

But I think that it's not easy to get the firmware of the OB debugger, so for production, we recommend you to get professional tools like J-LINK or other programmer. Hope this can help you.

BR,

Owen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Owen_Su

Hi, @victxus ,

1) I think that you can use 'XMC Flasher' to upload the new firmware into the MCU, just erase the flash and then upload the '.hex' file. Here is the link to download the tool: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/search.html#!term=XMC%20Flasher&view=all

Owen_Su_0-1690510497019.png

2) Or if you have a miniwiggler, you can use memtool to upload.

3) You can refer to the example below, this example demonstrates the implementation of a bootloader for in application programming via USB Mass Storage Device. It is based on the LUFA implementation which is ported to XMC4000 family. You can add the code to your project, follow the instruction to build your project, and when you want to update the firmware, just press the BUTTON 1, and then your PC will be mapped with a USB device, all you need to do is replace that firmware. 

You can pick one of the methods to upload your firmware, hope this can help you.

BR,

Owen

0 Likes

Hi Owen,

This is not exactly what I am looking for but thank you.

What I would like to do is as you do with the evaluation boards with on board degugger. I do not want to use an external debugger nor USB mass storage device. I would like to upload directly the firmware by the USB or UART channel from a PC to the XMC.

Moreover, I do not see XMC Flasher available.

Best regards,

0 Likes
Owen_Su

Hi, @victxus ,

It's seems that you are designing your own board, so if you don't have a on-board debugger, you need a external debugger to upload your firmware, XMC-LINK/ miniWiggler/J-LINK, one of them can achieve that. But if you don't want a external debugger, I'm afraid that we may not be able to meet your requirements, you need a debugger to complete the USB to UART conversion so that the chip can recognize it . BTW, you can find the XMC Flasher here:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/search.html#!term=XMC%20FLASHER&view=all

Owen_Su_0-1691457824458.png

BR,

Owen

0 Likes
victxus
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much Owen,

I would like to add an on-board debugger (for example a XMC4200) but the problem would be that I am not going to have the necessary firmware for the on-board debugger. Correct me whether I am wrong. Therefore, this is not an option.

I already have the XMC Flasher, thank you.

If I add a USB to UART converter (for example a typical FTDI), Can I upload firmware from my PC with any software tool? Because I see that XMC Flasher is also to upload firmware via a debugger (external or on-board).

I hope  I have explained myself properly and you see my point. Thanks

0 Likes
Owen_Su

Hi, @victxus ,

The firmware for the XMC1000/4000 series onboard debugger  is provided by J-LINK(Segger), and we cannot share it with you. So it's difficult for you to design the on-board debugger yourself.

And if you add a USB to UART converter, you can use corresponding tool to upload the firmware, it depends on the converter firmware you are using. For XMC Flasher, it supports SEGGER and DAP.

Owen_Su_0-1691480457230.png

But I think that it's not easy to get the firmware of the OB debugger, so for production, we recommend you to get professional tools like J-LINK or other programmer. Hope this can help you.

BR,

Owen

0 Likes
victxus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Owen,

Understood. Thank you again for your help.

Victor

0 Likes