XMC4000_ASCBootloader fail

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User7457
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
Hi,
I tried to upgrade firmware of a xmc4500-768 micro through the XMC4000_ASCBootloader/xmcload.exe PC program: everithing worked fine for three-four times.
In the last retry the flashing process has terminated for unknown reason while flashing a sector.
Now I can't access the micro controller anymore, neither through SWD nor through jtag.
Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I'm reasonably sure it's not an hardware problem.

Many thanks

Frank
0 Likes
7 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Frank,

Could it be the device has gone into read protection mode?
Is it still possible to established ASC BSL connection?
0 Likes
User7457
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
Hi Jackson,
this is what I found out:
I can reproduce the problem the following way:
1) Download through Dave a program into the microcontroller;
2) While debug is on, send a custom serial command to reboot the microcontroller into BSL mode:

SCU_GENERAL->STCON = 0x100; // STCON->SWCON = 1 (ASC boot mode)
SCU_RESET->RSTCLR = 0x01; // RSTCLR->RSCLR (Clear the reset status register)
if(SCU_GENERAL->STCON == 0x100){ // Reset the MCU if ASC boot mode is set
NVIC_SystemReset();
}
3) With xmc4500_loader download through serial line a new program.

If you execute the previous steps there are many probabilities to block the micro as I said.

- it is still possible to enter the ASC BSL, but the bsl stops programming on the same point: address 0x004000. It's a start address of a physical sector I see.

Then I recompiled the ASCLoader.hex from the Dave project, changing the function XMC4000_PFLASH_EraseSector:
* I commented the row // *((volatile unsigned long*)SectorAddr)=0x00000030; // erase logical sector
* I enabled the row *((unsigned long*)SectorAddr)=0x00000040; // erase physical sector
With this change the ASC bootloader works fine: after blocking the micro with steps 1-3, I can unblock it through the new bootloader.
I also noticed that memetool alwaus works fine: with either a "blocked " or unblocked micro while I don't understand why the jlink-lite doesn't work neither as jtag nor as SWD with a micro "blocked".
It seems to me that is a problem on chip erase: for same reasons the jlink cannot erase the chip correctly after it is blocked.

When I recompiled the ASCLoader.hex by choosing to erase physical sectors instead of logical sectors, what is the difference?

Thanks

-
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Frank,

If you see the Reference Manual on the PFlash structure, you will find that Logical Sector S0 to S3 is under Physical Sector PS0 and Logical Sector S4 to S7 is under Physical Sector PS4.
A physical sector could divided into several logical sector where a logical sector is a group of word-lines of one physical sector.
0 Likes
User7457
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
It seems to me that the problem is in the EraseSector function of ASCloader project. When the micro is blocked the code block that checks if a sector is empty returns true even if that sector is not.
By removing that check and always forcing sector erase, erase works properly.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello,
I wanted to run the Firmware loader but I can't find the sources on my computer
I have DAVE- 3.1.10; I follow the Tooling Guide V1.1 2013-11 so where I can find the sources

Thanks

Guy
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Guy,

Did you download the *.exe file for the tooling guide?
The source code is available inside.
0 Likes
User6793
Level 4
Level 4
Could this be related to http://http://www.infineonforums.com/threads/1035-XMC4500-768AB-FLASH-write-fail ?

We have had problems both erasing and programming FLASH (XMC4500) and had to ignore the FSR VER bit altogether as the reference manual suggests.
Had to make a change in the FLASH002.c DAVE APP.

I have not checked if latests version of Segger has changed their code after getting new info from Infineon.
When we had locked devices, the Segger was not able to unlock it.
Running code ignoring FSR VER fixed everything, and we have not had any problems since.

Cheers
0 Likes