Announcements

Help us improve the Power & Sensing Selection Guide. Share feedback

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello

This is a desperate plea for some straightforward, KISS-principled examples I can use to get started with XMC2Go with Dave 4.

I ask because I have spent the better part of a month waiting and trying to get this obfuscated and broken APP reliant architecture to work with no luck. Hence I wish to completely bypass this "convenient" APP approach and stick to register level code segments that only reference the base libraries (XMCLib, CMSIS etc).

I could not locate a rich resource for such code examples (blinky, timer, adc etc.) so was hoping somebody might have some links.

Thank you in advance
0 Likes
8 Replies
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Hi mds,

I agree with you regarding the obfuscation, but the app sources can be seen as "sample code".

The reference manual is the source you should use, although it is full of unresolved references, therefore you still need to to guess and try sometimes.

Oliver
0 Likes
Not applicable
Within the XMClib zipfile, there are a few minimal examples.

I would also suggest everybode not to use the apps, because they did not really make use of all the features and sometimes there is a new daveversion with no backporting of feature, so you can start from the beginning (e.g dave 3-4)

So, you just wast your time... I would not be surprising to me, if next year there is a new dave5 version and neither dave3 nor dave4 will further be supported...
0 Likes
Not applicable
mds:

Specifically what are you trying to do? With what are you struggling?

The major problem with the XCM2Go demo kit is the XMC1100 included with the demo kit. The XMC1100 really is a capable processor, but to make it the bottom-of-the-barrel processor it is the peripherals were 'watered down' from the higher end processors (XMC1200-1400 and XMC4000). Many of the XMC1200 and up peripherals are very similar, so there is a wide range of available app notes and example code, etc... Unfortunately, the 'slight' differences in the registers for the XMC1100 make the programming experience different, therefore you cannot use the wide range of app notes. I have said it before, I will say it again (and again, and again, and...) Infineon's support of the XMC1100 processor is practically non-existent.

Steve.
0 Likes
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Steve,

smays wrote:
Infineon's support of the XMC1100 processor is practically non-existent.

I can confirm this, do you have better experience with other XMC derivatives?

Extremly annoying is that the XMC1100 documentation contains many unresolved references, e.g. to signal names or registers only available in higher derivatives. You have to guess how it works in the 1100.

Oliver
0 Likes
Not applicable
the XMC1100 documentation contains many unresolved references, e.g. to signal names or registers only available in higher derivatives

Yep.

The vast majority of my experience is with the XMC1100. That said, most of what is downloadable in the form of example code or app note is for the higher end devices. The few requests for help for the XMC1100 are pointed toward the higher end parts as examples, which almost makes sense. The VADC, for example is almost identical from the XMC1200 to the XMC4x00 with the exceptions being related to the number of actual converters. The A2D converter of the 1100 is not only missing several 'key' registers, it also lacks a FIFO (which is FINE...). The lack of a FIFO just means all the code that accesses the conversion (NOT conversionS) is different, therefore one cannot use the abundant VADC examples.

Gee, if you are considering the 1100, but you want more 'support' (examples, etc...), perhaps the 1300 would be a decent alternative - just a small thought.

Steve.
0 Likes
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Steve,

no, I don't need "support" as I'm able to read documentation and go "the hard way".

But I would like to get complete and correct documentation.

And if the documentation is incomplete or wrong (can happen), I expect fast and accurate support.

Infineon makes great silicon, but the documentation is a severe drawback and the support is slow and somewhat difficult.

Oliver
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi mds,
if you are looking for simple examples for timer, adc,... i can sent this to you (is it possible to upload?)
greetings
Winfried
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello, I amm using XMC4800, but I have also the same problem.
Wspeidel, yes it is possible to upload some files in the forum.
0 Likes