XMC_ETH_MAC_GetPTPTime(): rollover bug?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MultipleMono
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hi all, I was going through the implementation of the XMCLib PTP functions, and I think I noticed something that might be a bug.  The XMC_ETH_MAC_GetPTPTime() function is implemented simply as:

time->nanoseconds = (uint32_t)(eth_mac->regs->SYSTEM_TIME_NANOSECONDS); /* accuracy of 1 ns */
time->seconds = eth_mac->regs->SYSTEM_TIME_SECONDS;

However, it seems like this does not account for the possibility of timer rollover.  Consider the following case:

1. SYSTEM_TIME_NANOSECONDS is 999999980 and SYSTEM_TIME_SECONDS is 0.
  2. The first line of the function executes and reads the nanoseconds.
  3. A PTP timer tick happens and moves time forward 20ns.    SYSTEM_TIME_NANOSECONDS is now 0 and SYSTEM_TIME_SECONDS is now 1.
  4. The second line of the function executes and reads the seconds.
  5. The time returns as 1s 999999980ns!

So basically, it seems like there's a very small chance that the time will phantom-jump one second into the future for one call to GetPTPTime().  This would be very rare, it would only happen if a seconds tick happened between the two lines of the function, out of all the 144M instructions executed each second.  However, I think that this is a real issue and I don't see anything in the current code that would defend against it.

I think that the function should be changed to the following:

void XMC_ETH_MAC_GetPTPTime(XMC_ETH_MAC_t *const eth_mac, XMC_ETH_MAC_TIME_t *const time)
{
  XMC_ASSERT("XMC_ETH_MAC_GetPTPTime: eth_mac is invalid", XMC_ETH_MAC_IsValidModule(eth_mac->regs));

do
  {
      time->nanoseconds = (int32_t)eth_mac->regs->SYSTEM_TIME_NANOSECONDS;
      time->seconds = eth_mac->regs->SYSTEM_TIME_SECONDS;
  }
  // If the time in nanoseconds went down, this means that there was a rollover at some point
  // during the read operation.  Since we don't know if we read SYSTEM_TIME_SECONDS before or after
  // the rollover, we need to retry the read operation.
  // Note that since rollovers happen once a second, this can never loop back more than once.
  while(time->nanoseconds > (int32_t)eth_mac->regs->SYSTEM_TIME_NANOSECONDS);
}

Using a loop like this is a common solution to this sort of problem, and I've used something very similar to fix this same issue reading linked CCU4 timers.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. We will forward this request internally to our software team to look into.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. We will forward this request internally to our software team to look into.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes