Update Firmware UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 questions asked

Hi everyone, 

last topic with Mr @Owen_Su  answers is closed so I have to create a new one to ask more about OTA update firmware of XMC4700. So the answer is I cannot update firmware OTA, but I can update OTA through UART right? Does anyone have example about update firmware through UART? My aim is to use another module transmit firmware through UART to XMC4700, XMC4700 handle it and update new firmware. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Owen_Su
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi, @90670 ,

Sorry to reply you so late, as my understanding, you need to modify the MEMORY partition according to the data manual and application note. In addition, I communicated with my colleague, you can refer to the link below: AP32235  and have a try, which should meet your requirements. Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Owen_Su

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Owen_Su

Hi, @90670 ,

As my understanding, XMC series does not support OTA, so you can update other firmware through UART, but not including OTA. Here I provides you an example demonstrates the implementation of a EtherCAT slave node
which is capable doing firmware updates via FoE (File over EtherCAT). You can refer to this first and I will  look for examples of UART updating firmware for you. Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Owen_Su

0 Likes
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you for your information, I will take a look at the document. Hope you will find some examples of UART updating firmware, it will help me a lot! 

Regards.

Tung Tran.

0 Likes
Owen_Su

You can also find other examples in this link:https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/aim-mc/dave_downloads.html . The examples include applications of USB, UART and other peripherals, you can check if this meet your requirements. Hope this can help you.

Owen_Su_0-1664508398987.png

0 Likes
Level 4
Level 4

Year thank you, but I think I still need a specific UART (or SPI either) updating firmware XMC4700 example. Please tell me if you found one. 

Regards.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Owen_Su

Hi, 

Unfortunately at the moment, we do not have any such code example that meets the requirement of implementing UART updating firmware, you can refer to the attachments below which are about SPI updating. Or you can find other examples in this link: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/search.html#!term=software%20update%20of%20XMC&view=all .

Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Owen_Su

0 Likes
Level 4
Level 4

thanks for the assets of update firmware XMC1000, it's very detail and help me a lot. I just want to verify that if I can use similar method like this example for my XMC4700 update firmware through SPI?

0 Likes
Level 4
Level 4

@Owen_Su Can you please show me how to modify linker script MEMORY in XMC4700 so I can do update firmware machanism like the example with XMC1000 you gave me? XMC4700 has a little different MEMORY region partitions. 

In Linker Script file, do I just need to modify MEMORY partition or I also need to modify SECTIONS part? Because SECTIONS code in Linker Script are complicated, I still haven't known how to deal with it. Can you give me some instruction in this part?

0 Likes
Owen_Su

Hi, @90670 ,

Sorry to reply you so late, as my understanding, you need to modify the MEMORY partition according to the data manual and application note. In addition, I communicated with my colleague, you can refer to the link below: AP32235  and have a try, which should meet your requirements. Hope this can help you.

Regards,

Owen_Su

0 Likes
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you, I will read those documents and try to solve the problem. 

0 Likes