Two (2) Ethernet Ports with XMC4500

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Christian1
Employee
Employee
Hi everybody,

is it possible to have two Ethernet ports with one XMC4500?

More specifically:

1) Using the Evaluation Kit, can I connect two COM satellite ports to a single XMC CPU Board?
2) I see that DAVE only allows a single ETH001 app, so is there any chance I can have two Ethernet ports and still develop with DAVE, or do I need my own OS?

The background for my question is that I want to communicate with two different networks from a single XMC4500 CPU board.

Thank you!
0 Likes
3 Replies
Not applicable
AFAIK the xmc4500 only has one ethernet core. You need to hook up an external lan chip like the cs8900,r8139 or something better. It has nothing todo with an os!

Regards

thk
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
1) Using the Evaluation Kit, can I connect two COM satellite ports to a single XMC CPU Board?

No, Strictly not possible.

2) I see that DAVE only allows a single ETH001 app, so is there any chance I can have two Ethernet ports and still develop with DAVE, or do I need my own OS?

No, there is only one Ethernet MAC within the XMC4500 which can be connect to an external PHY.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Christian,
you have only one MAC port. I don't know if using a switch can fit your needs (take a look for example at Micrel's line card).

Regards
0 Likes