Running two and more EtherCAT boards simultaneously under TwinCAT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User20997
Level 1
Level 1
Hello EtherCAT experts,

I would like to ask for advice how to run two or more EtherCAT kit boards under TwinCAT.

I went through getting started examples with XMC4300 and XMC4800 EtherCAT Relax kits. It worked fine.
Now I would like to put both kits into EtherCAT chain and run both of them under TwinCAT.
In order to do it I guess I will need to have two unique separated .xml files which will be copied into TwinCAT folder to let TwinCAT to recognize both kits.

Questions:
1. How to generate unique .xml and .xlsx files with DAVE which Beckhoff SSC tool will process them to make unique .xml file ready to copy it into TwinCAT folder?
2. There is any trick in DAVE how to run multiple boards in EtherCAT chain under TwinCAT (Let's say a few XMC4800 or XMC4300 or mixed them together)?

I am using - DAVE 4.4.2, Beckhoff SSC Tool, TwinCAT 2.

Thanks for any advice.
Jan
0 Likes
1 Solution
Nicky
Level 2
Level 2
5 sign-ins First question asked 5 replies posted
It's no problem using multiple ethercat devices. For each device use the Slave stack code tool to generate the XML file and update the source folder. Like the example project.

Just change the name and product code of the device. And beckhoff will recognize it as a different device. If you change the group name also you can sort the devices in your own defined groups.

Good luck,
Nicky

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Nicky
Level 2
Level 2
5 sign-ins First question asked 5 replies posted
It's no problem using multiple ethercat devices. For each device use the Slave stack code tool to generate the XML file and update the source folder. Like the example project.

Just change the name and product code of the device. And beckhoff will recognize it as a different device. If you change the group name also you can sort the devices in your own defined groups.

Good luck,
Nicky
0 Likes
User20997
Level 1
Level 1
I've just saw your post. I did try your suggestion and it works without any problem.
Thanks Nicky!

Best,
Jan
0 Likes