Q/SPI Flash Read Slow on XMC4500 Relaxkit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User17149
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored
Hi,

I am using the N25Q03 driver of the QSPI_EXAMPLE_XMC45 sample application successfully in order to access the external QSPI flash on the XMC4500 Relaxkit.

There is however one remaining problem:

For my application, during startup, it is necessary to scan all flash pages in order to build an index. In my tests it is extremely slow to do so...

I am using a Relax kit board in which the standard 32Mb external flash has been replaced with a 128 Mb from Cypress (https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/100/S25FL256L_S25FL128L_256-MB_32-MB_128-MB_16-MB_3.0_-1082553.pdf).

The initial scan of all pages takes about 90 seconds even when I modify the code to use QSPI (Quad Read).

The standard SPI Master Bus Clock speed is set to 7000 KHz and I doubled this, thinking that it will double the speed. But surprisingly it made everything even slower.... Any ideas what I can try?

Thank you in advance

Kuros Yalpani
0 Likes
1 Solution
User17149
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored
The following solution worked: Change "Protocol handling" in SPI_MASTER configuration to "Direct" and increase the size of the read buffer in call to SPI_MASTER_Receive...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
User17149
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored
The following solution worked: Change "Protocol handling" in SPI_MASTER configuration to "Direct" and increase the size of the read buffer in call to SPI_MASTER_Receive...
0 Likes