Is there a way to rescue my processor from a reset deadlock

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ricky369
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First question asked Welcome!

Hi

I have a board with an XMC1400 MCU on it. It is a custom board with LEDs and buttons and so on. So I accidentally add a '''XMC_SCU_RESET_AssertMasterReset()''' line at the beginning of the code... This function cause xmc to reset but it doesn't just reset the program counter, it also clears everything and ends the debug connection. And since it happens so quickly I cannot reconnect before it resets again. For the one who doesn't know, when you load a program to the xmc, it gets written to the flash, and once it's loaded it will always run with power up. I know in some boards there are some pins used to clear to board when shorted but there is no such a thing in this one. There are however several bootstrap loaders(can and uart). But they are disabled by a flash parameter called BMI. I don't have echat.date much hope but is there a way to rescue this chatspin.download processor? Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

XMC does not have an XRES pin to trigger a reset. The option of pins deciding the bootmode will require aBMI PINDIS register bit to be modified which could not be applicable to your case.

What kind of debugger and tools are you using? One solution that we can think of is to slow down the ramp up (but within 1 sec, as VDDP ramp up is 10^7 uS as per datasheet). During this time you can connect your debugger and erase the flash. The slow down can be done through a CAP connected to VDDP. This can be one solution we can think about.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @Ricky369,

Are you able to connect to the device using XMCFlasher? Is yes, can you try to erase the flash?

Also, what is the source used for this reset among XMC_SCU_RESET_REQUEST_FLASH_ECC_ERRORXMC_SCU_RESET_REQUEST_CLOCK_LOSSXMC_SCU_RESET_REQUEST_SRAM_PARITY_ERROR and XMC_SCU_RESET_REQUEST_USIC_SRAM_PARITY_ERROR?

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

XMC does not have an XRES pin to trigger a reset. The option of pins deciding the bootmode will require aBMI PINDIS register bit to be modified which could not be applicable to your case.

What kind of debugger and tools are you using? One solution that we can think of is to slow down the ramp up (but within 1 sec, as VDDP ramp up is 10^7 uS as per datasheet). During this time you can connect your debugger and erase the flash. The slow down can be done through a CAP connected to VDDP. This can be one solution we can think about.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes