FAQ for XMC4800 EtherCAT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
1823.attach

Hi all,

I would like to dedicate this thread specially for the development of EtherCAT using the XMC4800. Please do feel free to post your questions here and we shall do our best to answer these question.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
53 Replies
MichaelIFX
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
@Volatile
Each board alone works without problem?
0 Likes
User13760
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, I have a question regarding the processing time of the ethercat stack. More specifically, where can I find test results involving the execution time (within a single cycle) of the beckhoff Ethercat stack on xmc4800 and xmc4300 for different levels of optimization?
0 Likes
User14803
Level 1
Level 1
Dear engineers,

I recently study cia 402 on the xmc4800 which is the motor driver, but I can only find the example of cia 402 of ET1100.
*** So I want to ask:
*** 1. Are the examples of cia402 based on ET1100 changed to xmc4800?
*** 2. I read ETG's CIA402 book, but I still don't understand it. If there are examples, I would like to enlighten me.

Thank you!

Any reply will be appreciated!
0 Likes
User15997
Level 1
Level 1
i just bought a XMC4800 Relax EtherCAT kit., but i cannot find the .zip files "XMC4800 EtherCAT APP SSC Slave Example" from this link "https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/kit_xmc48_relax_ecat_v1/#ispnTab4", there is only a pdf file?? So where could i find the example code??
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi, short question regarding the Automation Board v2. Been working on it for a few days without a problem but when I connected the ISOFACE output this morning to the power source the error led is constantly turned on. I've erased the chip, flashed it with different codes, changed the power adapter and the wires but nothing. No such error on the input side. Is there a chance this is not a hardware defect? Do you have experienced this problem before? Any advice?
0 Likes
User16372
Level 1
Level 1
Is EtherCAT relaxKIT supports SWV output from the onboard debugger cause I am not able to get it working. I have custom a pcb with the same microcontroller and there is running perfectly with a J-link from segger. So Its suppose to be Identical setup but I cannot get it running in the Relax kit.
0 Likes
User17049
Level 1
Level 1
Hi all! I'm new on this forum, so i beg your pardon if i'm doing something against its rules!

Anyway, I have this problem: I'm using the XMC4800 relax kit to implement an EtherCAT slave (using the code of the example i've found at this page: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/prod...downloads.html) and I want my slave to send a master the result of the QSPI test (the one i've downloaded from the page i've previously linked).
I notice that, if i don't insert that test into an EtherCAT system it works fine, but when i try to insert it into the main of the EtherCAT code, it always fail. I've checked the Chip Select pin of the flash memory: with the EtherCAT, the memory seems to be selected for fewer time (i.e. the time during which the chip select is driven low is almost the half of the case without the EtherCAT).

Which could be the problem and how could I solve it?
Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
User16843
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored
Hi,all:
Is there any example on how ethercat nodes can be linked like daisy chain and pass message in relay to the master? And how can I monitor the chain is working fine with TwinCat?
Regards & thanks .
0 Likes
User13760
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, I have a simple question regarding the EtherCAT apps provided by Infineon. So far, everything has been working fine on my application. I am currently using both ports and I am wondering it is possible to configure the app such that only one port is used? I intend to use the pins for the other port for another purpose. Thanks!
0 Likes
User14803
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I have installed igh ethercat master for linux 1.5.2 on my pc with real-time opterating sysytem. now two ethercat slaves were link my pc.

The first slave is the xmc4800 + PHY (BCM5241XA1KMLG). The second slave is the xmc4800 + PHY(DP83822).
When I read the first slave 0x0300 register by igh command "sudo /opt/etherlab/bin/ethercat reg_read 0x0300 4 -p 0",
the 0x302 register will read wrong value. when I use the TwinCAT 3 read the same hardware,the 0x0302 register will read 0x00 value.

note:
the xmc4800 + PHY(DP83822) slave work well when the ethercat master Twincat.
the xmc4800 + PHY(DP83822) is not on ethercat slave bus ,IGH work well.
4513.attach
wechart:yw8b129
syy

Any reply will be appreciated !
0 Likes
User19928
Level 1
Level 1
Hi
I have post a new thread but cannot see it. I guess i can post the question at here?

I want to know how to make a non-blocking I2C communication. I have make some code to fix WHILE Loop problem, But I think thats not good.

The following is my original post:

Hi
I have try to use XMC4300 work with PCF8574T, Use EtherCAT and I2C communication.
In my project, I have created EtherCAT And I2C App Instance. And use this code to update I/O state:

I2C_MASTER_Receive(&I2C_MASTER_0,true,0x41,&input_1,2,true,true);
i2c_wait();

But the red error led on the circuit board is often lit.After checking the code, I found that xmc4300 fall into an infinite loop at the following locations: (Dave\Generated\I2C_MASTER\I2C_Master.C)

Line 323: while (!XMC_USIC_CH_TXFIFO_IsEmpty(handle->channel)){}
Line 445: while (XMC_USIC_CH_GetTransmitBufferStatus(handle->channel) == XMC_USIC_CH_TBUF_STATUS_BUSY){}
Line 1052: while (XMC_USIC_CH_GetTransmitBufferStatus(handle->channel) == XMC_USIC_CH_TBUF_STATUS_BUSY){}

I made a patch at these three loop points, the patch content is as follows:

uint32_t count = 0;
while (!XMC_USIC_CH_TXFIFO_IsEmpty(handle->channel)){
count++;
if (count > 1000){
return;
}
}

Currently, it is working normally, but occasionally I2C read data incorrect at emc test.
I am wondering if there is a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks.
0 Likes
User20528
Level 1
Level 1
Hi to all,

Actually we are trying to implement EtherCAT Slave Stack implementation from Infineon examples ,everything is fine
but when we are dealing with SSC Tool there we are getting problem.
In SSC tool we are taking new file and then importing a configuration file(.xml) ,it is directly itself selecting Infineon
hardware ,if we try to select EtherCAT Infineon slave sample it is asking again configuration file (.xml).
we have tried number of ways it was not allowing create slave stack ESI file ,in twinCAT it is detecting but that is
BOX1(P100000000000) it contains no inputs and outputs ,because SSC tool it is generating ESI file for Infineon
XMC4800 hardware

a) -----Is there anyone face this type of problems please tell us how to resolve it-----
b)------ What is reason behind that SSC tool misbehaving like that?--------

Regards
Akhil
0 Likes
User20548
Level 1
Level 1
Hi everyone,

Need to know how much current we can source from GPIO pin. we need to drive the LED which are in ETHERNET connector.

Regards,
Rohan Kharvi
0 Likes
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted
Hello,

Please refer the VOH and VOL specifications given in datasheet for different GPIO drive strengths to get an idea about how much current a GPIO can source and sink.

Example: Consider a GPIO with drive strength set to "Strong – sharp drive strength". VOH and VOL spec for this drive strength are given in Table 23 on page 51 of the datasheet (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-XMC4700-XMC4800-DS-v01_01-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462518ffd8501519...).
As you can see in this table, GPIO with drive strength setting "Strong – sharp drive strength" will be able to source 2mA current with output voltage (VOH min) 2.4V. Similarly, it can sink current up to 2mA and keep output voltage (VOL max) 0.4V.

I hope the above information answers your query. Please get back to us if you need any further help.

Thanks and Regards,
Sudheesh
0 Likes