Admin rights to unpack sample code?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Hello Infineon,

what is the purpose to request administrator rights to unpack DEV_XMC1000_TSE_Example_Code_v1_0.exe?

Oliver
0 Likes
2 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Oliver,

I think that is the Windows behavior when you trying to execute *.exe files.
For windows, when executing *.exe file, it will recognize it as installing Program into your system.
Hence, you need to have admin rights to executed it.

As for our example package, you do not need to worry.
We don't install anything but we just unpack the content into your system.
0 Likes
User7804
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Jackson,

what you assume is not true. You can of course "install" programs without admin rights, and most installers don't request admin rights unless they have to install drivers or so.

So the decision was made deliberately by the person configuring the "installer", and that's what I'm complaining about.

By the way: Why is an installer used at all (instead of providing the ZIP file directly)? Just to force me to accept another set of terms ?

You know, when I follow the link on the XMC1000 page, I first have to accept the "AGREEMENT ON THE USE OF PRODUCT INFORMATION" to get DEV_XMC1000_TSE_Example_Code_v1_0.exe

Then I have to log in as admin, start DEV_XMC1000_TSE_Example_Code_v1_0.exe to see a second agreement. The installer then puts "Simple_XMC1300_TSE.zip" in a new folder of my choice.

That's annoying!

Oliver
0 Likes