Announcements

Help us improve the Power & Sensing Selection Guide. Share feedback

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
gargi1
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi Team,

i wanted to know about the ADC accuracy calculation some example.

how to find how much accurate the ADC value from the different readings.

Thanks,

Gargi 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @gargi1 ,

There is a difference between accuracy and resolution of an ADC. Here, this article might help you : Accuracy and Resolution of ADC

In the context of data converters, it is common to express the accuracy in terms of the number of bits. For example, we might say this ADC is 12-bit accurate. This means that the conversion error is less than the full-scale value divided by 212. In other words, the conversion error is less than one LSB (least significant bit).

Best Regards,

Aashita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Aashita_R

Hi @gargi1 ,

As per my understanding, you are trying to calculate the accuracy of A/D with the given final readings. Since, accuracy stands for how much close the readings are to the expected values, you can basically calculate the deviation of the results from the expected results and calculate a mean value from them.

Accuracy = (Final Value - Resulted Value)/Final Value

Meanwhile, if you re using A/D of XMC 4400, this AP NOTE might interest you : https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AP56003_ADC_Analog_Aspects-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46269...

Can you please let us know how many bit of ADC are you using?

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Hi Aashita,

Thanks for your reply.

i am using 12- bit ADC 

Here from final value do you mean 4096 or the final(actual) ADC value for particular voltage. like for 2.5V my ADC count will be 3102. so here my final value should be 3102 or 4096?

because my resulted value for 2.5V can be 3100 or 3104. so, i will get accuracy negative also.

i want to find out accuracy in percentage. like what will be the maximum accuracy can be achieved while using 12 bit ADC.

Thanks,

Gargi 

0 Likes
Aashita_R

Hi @gargi1 ,

There is a difference between accuracy and resolution of an ADC. Here, this article might help you : Accuracy and Resolution of ADC

In the context of data converters, it is common to express the accuracy in terms of the number of bits. For example, we might say this ADC is 12-bit accurate. This means that the conversion error is less than the full-scale value divided by 212. In other words, the conversion error is less than one LSB (least significant bit).

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes