stm32f2 to stm32f4 code porting in wiced SDK using target as SN8000

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

In our project we are initially developing our firmware in SN8000EVK which uses STM32F205 MCU ,but finally we have to port this code to STM32F429 MCU (which is interfaced with SN8000 module). I am using WICED SDK v.2.4.1 .

So what I'm planing to do is change the the MCU from stm32f2xx to stm32f4  in the \WICED-SDK-2.4.1\Wiced-SDK\Wiced\Platform\SN8000x and flash the code to SN8000EVK , I expect It should work because In some discussion I found that the STM32F2 and STM32F4 are pin & software compatible, the only difference is of the Floating point unit in STM32F4 (clock frequencies might have to be changed).

Is this a right way of doing?

Regards

0 Likes
22 Replies
SeyhanA_31
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

I guess you already resolved your issue. If you need more info you can take a look SN8000 WiFi Module with STM Discovery Board as well.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Seyhan,

Actually the project was dealyed due to some hardware problems, anyway we were trying to implement this one in the coming weeks . This will lighten our work to a great extent.

Thanks for your support.,Thank you very much..

Regards

HpC

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

seyhan

If I'm planning to run the code build for this target which is stm32f407 , will it work on stm32f429 ?

Do I have to change/modify any of the .ld files in MCU ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will run, but if you have to use extra ram present in 429 you will have to modify .ld files.Also you cant run the mcu @ 180MHz which is supported by 429, and you wont be able to use any of the extra blocks that are available in 429.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi seyhan soorajrk

If I'm following the link SN8000 WiFi Module with STM Discovery Board , should I apply the patch provided by the Murata for the corresponding SDK ? or just the Files attached alongwith in the "BLOG" is necessary ?

0 Likes

Is there any platform files and/or ld files available for the STM32F429 MCU?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As per now I'm using the ld files for stm32f405 , but didn't got time to study about it ,so as to make enogh modifications for our stm32f429 .

0 Likes

Great, what about the platform files, which are you using ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The platform file I currently use is from SN8000 WiFi Module with STM Discovery Board. and modify the interfaces and gpio's accordingly

0 Likes

Ok, I'm having a hard time getting the STM32F429 running. I'm working with a 32F429IDISCOVERY with a STM32F429ZI MCU. To flash I have a j-link which is tested on a SN8205 board.

First of I was trying to flash a GPIO snip to the STM32F429 to see if I could blink the onboard LED's but no luck so far. As soon as the j-link is connected the screen goes white and it seems that the MCU does not boot untill the j-link is disconnected.

How are you flashing the MCU?

- Edit -

Great, 10seconds after i posted this message, I show how was able to flash the STM32F429 and see the SW running. I think the problem was the cable on the j-link but I am not 100% sure. The important thing is that it is working!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to know...

0 Likes

Have you tried using one of the UART's on the STM32F429 MCU? I can not seem to get them to work.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes , the SN8000 WiFi Module with STM Discovery Board platform file has a UART2 configured for, which will prints the debug mesasges

0 Likes

Excatly and what pins on the STM32F429 are you using?

UART2 RX on PA3 and UART2 TX on PA2? or

UART2 RX on PB6 and UART2 TX on PB5?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes the same pins..

0 Likes

UART is now working on PB6 & PB5. Next issue is the scan snip.

It seems to die on the "wiced_wifi_scan_networks" call, looking into it it seems to be the "result = wiced_rtos_get_semaphore( &scan_semaphore, SCAN_LONGEST_WAIT_TIME );" line which is, I assume, crashing the STM32.

Have you experienced anything like this ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes , you asked at the right time....

Some days before this was working fine for me( I dont dnow what made it work, i was able to scan the networks and got it properly)

I just detached and reconnected the Wifi Module, after that I'm seeing this same issue...

Please update me if you get any further in this issue... I'll also check on this and lets get keep updated ..

Great to hear that I'm not the only one.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We'll, sort it out...

0 Likes

Hi,

If you are using the platform files from SN8000 WiFi Module with STM Discovery Board, Tx will be on PA2 and Rx will be on PA3 using USART2.

If you like to use the USART1, PB6 for Tx and PB7 for Rx, please update the gpio and uart definitions in platform.c file as following:

const platform_gpio_t platform_gpio_pins[] =

{

[WICED_GPIO_1]  = { GPIOA,  0 },

[WICED_GPIO_2]  = { GPIOB,  6 },

[WICED_GPIO_3]  = { GPIOB,  7 },

const platform_uart_t platform_uart_peripherals[] =

{

[WICED_UART_1] =

{

.port              = USART1,

.tx_pin            = &platform_gpio_pins[WICED_GPIO_2],

.rx_pin            = &platform_gpio_pins[WICED_GPIO_3],

.tx_dma_config =

Seyhan

0 Likes

From the data sheet of the STM32F429, the USART2 is located either on PA2 (TX) & PA3 (RX) or PD5 (RX) & PD6 (TX). I have only managed to get it running on the PD5 & PD6 pins. USART1 seems to be at PA9 & PA10 or PB6 & PB7.

The big problem right now is to get atlas the scan snip working.

Any suggestion?

- Renejos

0 Likes

I have enabled the WWD error messages and I get a "Could not turn on APSTA & Could not set AMPDU parameters" in the log.

This problem is discussed in this old thread Re: wiced_ioctl_sleep semaphore timeout

0 Likes