simultaneous ble and 5ghz wifi

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cakr_2329926
Level 1
Level 1

We use a BCM43340 chip and are in the process of implementing bluetooth connection through WICED 3.7.0-7.  In the datasheet for the part, on page 115, it states that "The BCM43340 does not provide simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz operation".  Since the BLE is housed in the 2.4GHz portion of the chip, does this statement mean that BLE cannot be used if using a 5GHz AP for wifi access?

0 Likes
1 Solution

carson.krupp_2329926​  rroy

I checked internally with the WiFi Combo chip product team and it appears that all of our current combo devices (ex. CYW43455 and others) leverage a seperate PHY, MAC and shared antenna, so 5GHz WLAN and 2.4GHz BT simultaneously is indeed possible (i.e. 5G softAP with BLE).

We have a device coming out later in the year which can take advantage of a dual antenna path and LNAs, and this will be optimal for 2.4GHz WLAN and simultaneous BT.

Remember though that the original question references 5GHz WLAN and 2.4GHz BT simultaneously – not 2.4GHz WLAN and 5GHz WLAN – that’s only possible with RSDB.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Your understanding is correct. The datasheet and schematic seem to indicate that BLE cannot be used if using a 5 GHz AP for wifi access. One way to validate this is by testing the ble_wifi_introducer App where you connect to a 5 GHz AP and check the connection is maintained or not.

carson.krupp_2329926​  rroy

I checked internally with the WiFi Combo chip product team and it appears that all of our current combo devices (ex. CYW43455 and others) leverage a seperate PHY, MAC and shared antenna, so 5GHz WLAN and 2.4GHz BT simultaneously is indeed possible (i.e. 5G softAP with BLE).

We have a device coming out later in the year which can take advantage of a dual antenna path and LNAs, and this will be optimal for 2.4GHz WLAN and simultaneous BT.

Remember though that the original question references 5GHz WLAN and 2.4GHz BT simultaneously – not 2.4GHz WLAN and 5GHz WLAN – that’s only possible with RSDB.

Hope this helps.