for ble where is tx_power defined

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

in the code in ble_proximity_reporter, I see in the serial logs that tx_power is returned as 4:

WPRINT_BT_APP_INFO( ("Local TX power: %i\n", p_tx_power->tx_power) );

proximity_tx_power_level = p_tx_power->tx_power;

However, looking through the code I was unable to find where this gets set .. seems like its somewhere within the library:

Bluetooth_Low_Energy_Proximity_Reporter_Application

1. Can I change the power level ?

2. Where is the source code for Bluetooth_Low_Energy_Proximity_Reporter_Application ?

Sajid

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Sajid,

We received additional information from our firmware team. The output power level for ble is fixed;

It is set to 4dBm for adv packets and 10dBm (max output) for LE connection mode.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Moving to the WICED Wi-Fi forums as this application is in the WICED Wi-Fi SDK, not the one for BLE.

jaeyoung abirjepatil gangi

0 Likes
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi Sajid,

1. Unfortunately, we do not provide an API to change the tx power level.

2. Are you looking for the source code for wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power()? We can only provide libraries along with the header files for that in <SDK>\libraries\drivers\bluetooth\include\wiced_bt_dev.h.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hoping to increase BLE Tx Power, but if you don't support a way to change it, there's not much I can do 🙂

Curious, why was this design decision made ?

Also regarding my second question : Where is the source code for Bluetooth_Low_Energy_Proximity_Reporter_Application

.. now that I am getting a bit more familiar with the WICED dev environment, the question doesn't make much sense.

Its really the name of the module I am building.

0 Likes

We checked with the developers previously on this issue and determined that we default to BT Class 1.5 on Tx, which equates to 10dBm.

As jaeyoung mentioned, we unfortunately, we do not provide an API to change the default output power.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

how does 4 equate to 10db ?

I thought 4 would be 4db.

Sajid

0 Likes

Hi Sajid,

Sorry for the confusion. Which board are you using? We configure the tx power to the default maximum power for maximum range. That max value depends on each board, and the returned value 4 you got is equal to 4dBm which would be the max for the board you are using.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi Sajid,

We received additional information from our firmware team. The output power level for ble is fixed;

It is set to 4dBm for adv packets and 10dBm (max output) for LE connection mode.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung