WiFi-Direct group owner with WICED: how to do?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ofexc_2213241
Level 1
Level 1

I am completely new to this: Is there any step by step description, how to establish a WiFi-direct connection between my WICED device and an Adroid smartphone?

I think our WICED Smart device will be in group owner roll.

Can I start the WiFi-direct connection with "wiced_network_up(WICED_AP_INTERFACE,...)" or is this the wrong strarting point?

To be more specific according our environement:

We are using WICED Studio 6.2 and are developing on a Murata module with STM32F412 CYW 43438.

Our goal is to exchange data between our WICED device and an android Smartphone over WiFi-direct. (The Data will be in JSON format).

Any help or hint is greatly appreciated

Best regards

Mic

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you want your WICED device to start acting as GO, you can use p2p_go_start command in console. Then you need to figure out whether your android device supports pin mode or PBC mode. In my case, while using OP5,  I sent an invitation from my mobile and the WICED console prompted me start a WPS registrar in PBC mode, which can be done using pbc_registrar_start pbc and you should see the MAC address of your mobile along with the message WPS completed successfully after which you can start the data frame transfer.

Please let me know if you are facing any difficulty in this process. Currently, there is no clean app like snip.apsta just demonstrating all the p2p features but WICED supports all the standard p2p procedures through the console app. You can write your own application based on the existing implementations like snip.wifi_connection_manager, demo.headset, connection_manager library etc (check the p2p section in 43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/API.html) using the specific functionalities that you mentioned.

View solution in original post

5 Replies