Why do We need an additional MCU on the host side?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there a reason why we can't use the Cortex M3 on the Wi-Fi module to compile our host application which is less than 50K?

It just seems that with such a powerful MCU on the Wi-Fi module, we should be able to do much more with it.  What am I missing?

0 Likes
10 Replies
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi,

Our Wifi firmware runs on the Cortex M3 and has limited resources. You would need the host MCU to run the network stack and your application.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jaeyoung,

I have to ask you for more help on this issue.  The thing is that it is expensive to put another Cortex M3 on the host side when we need so little resource.  How can we view the resource allocation on module?  Can we recompile the code on the Wi-Fi module?

We need little flash and RAM.  I would really appreciate your help with understanding the resource allocation and how we can add our agent.  You apparently do this right now for the Ayla agent.  So I would think we can make something work.

Please advise.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm afraid the Cortex M3 is purely used for our wifi firmware and we cannot support otherwise. May I ask which radio Ayla is using that you are referring to? We do have a design where we provide a host MCU internally (BCM4390) but we do not recommend it for extensive applications.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jaeyoung,

Ayla's agent is integrated into the Murata LBWB1ZZYDZ-683.  This module uses the BCM43362.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

H,

Shoot me an email and help me understand exactly what you are looking for. I think we can help here as we have some undocumented features that may be useful to your application if you can help me understand exactly what you are trying to do.

email me as a private message.

Nick Dutton

jasonrc

ACKme Networks

0 Likes
GregG_16
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 25 comments on KBA

When you say "Module" what do you mean?  Some people refer to it as a WIFI+MCU in one module or do you mean just a WIFI radio only module?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gangi,

By module, I mean WIFI+MCU in one module. 

Ayla's agent is integrated into the Murata LBWB1ZZYDZ-683.

0 Likes

OK. that makes sense.  You would have to work with Ayla to include your code with their code and recompile.

Or use a module that is compatible with the WICED SDK on this site.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

gangi,

That's not quite the answer I am looking for.  I am asking: if BCM enables their agent, how can you enable us to do something similar.  This would mean that on some small level, there is extra resource to support us, yes?

0 Likes

Ayla is a cloud partner of ours.  So yes, we work with them to support their agent.

I will reach out to you via PM.

0 Likes