Why WICED-STUDIO4 removed support for FreeRTOS-LWIP ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why WICED-STUDIO4 removed support for FreeRTOS-LWIP ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

WICED Studio 4 only; this will be the SDK product supported long term.

However, we are also working on applying the patches in WICED Studio 4 to a version of the WCIED SDK 3.7.X release and that should be out sometime in early December/Late November.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have same question about the confusing decision. If Cypress want to abandon FreeRTOS-LWIP they should announce early to customers.

Such decision making is really unprofessional.

ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Cypress felt the effort to support and regression test platforms with FreeRTOS was not worth the return on investment so the decision was made to pull the plug and converge on ThreadX/NetX. I concur we should have informed users of the pending change but we presently don't have a process in place for messaging things like this.   Don't shoot the messenger.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cypress dropped FreeRTOS/LWIP but not even mentioned that neither in SDK Release nor Changelog.

Is that normal ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

santol, does this apply only to Studio 4 or to the Wiced SDK itself? We just upgraded to SDK 3.7.0 and it still has support.

0 Likes

WICED Studio 4 only; this will be the SDK product supported long term.

However, we are also working on applying the patches in WICED Studio 4 to a version of the WCIED SDK 3.7.X release and that should be out sometime in early December/Late November.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been thinking of using a WICED device in a new design because of the announced FreeRTOS-LwIP support. Now I will be thinking twice...

0 Likes

Long term the goal is to support software updates and new connectivity products through WICED Studio.  FreeRTOS and LwIP will not be supported in WICED Studio.

mwf_mmfae wrote:

Long term the goal is to support software updates and new connectivity products through WICED Studio.  FreeRTOS and LwIP will not be supported in WICED Studio.

I'm pretty disappoint about such decision.

But since it's your SDK, you have the right to make such decision.

The only issue is how long will you continue support for current FreeRTOS and LwIP users?

There are some features not supported at all by NetX/NetX_Duo, so I still have no choice but using the 3.7.x serial for LwIP.

I think at least you need to provide bug fix for the 3.7.x serial for certain period.

Can you list the benefit of using ThreadX/NetX, what's the advantage of using NetX?

When I start using WICED a few years ago, I choose FreeRTOS/LwIP because there are

many hard limitation if using NetX (e.g The number of support socket is limited and cannot be changed) and

if I hit any issue using NetX I cannot debug and fix it by my self. All issue needs to wait fix from cypress team.

The timing to get a fix from cypress team is undetereminated and this is risky for real projects.

(I really had bad experience waiting for the fixes from cypress team.)

By using FreeRTOS/LwIP, even your standard SDK has bugs some companies has developers to fix it/improve it.