Which Board works with HomeKit SDK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lionel,

As far i understand, BCM9WCDPLUS114 will be the best choice for apple home kit but is there any BCM9WCDPLUS114 development board, so that i want to buy one of the BCM9WCDPLUS114 development board and start developing program in that board. But i couldnot find any BCM9WCDPLUS114 development board in website.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes
12 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm not sure this is correct.  The board you mentioned is the first generation USI SmartBridge product (BCM20702+BCM43362).

I believe the correct board is the new BCM943341WCD1_EVB (STM32F417+43341) as this new board is slightly larger and has a provision for Authentication IC; it is also currently being tested for HomeKit compliance.

vik86

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks mwf_mmfae

0 Likes
GregG_16
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 25 comments on KBA

HomeKit runs on the host so any board works.  You do need the AuthIC for WAC so 43341 board makes the most sense.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gangi,

I have a question regarding homekit board. I have downloaded the "WICED-SDK-MFi-3.1.2" and after installation, i compile the apple_homekit "snip.apple_homekit-BCM943362WCD4", it works but when i select "snip.apple_homekit-BCM943362WCD4 USE_MFI=1", it does not work that means this board (BCM943362WCD4) do not support apple homekit, isn't it?. When i select "snip.apple_homekit-BCM943341WCD1 USE_MFI=1" or  "snip.apple_homekit-BCM9WCDPLUS114 USE_MFI=1" then it works. So far i am looking BCM943341WCD1 datasheet. Is there any datasheet around website, i could not find anywhere. But there is the BCM943341WCD1_EVB

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Does your WCDPLUS114 board have an AuthIC populated?

What do you mean when you say "it doesn't work"? Doesn't compile?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean it doesn't compile

0 Likes

OK. You are correct.  The AuthIC is not on our boards, but could be added via an I2C.  In that case you would have to modify the Platform file to tell it which port the Auth IC can be found on etc..  You would have to follow the setup on the WCDPLUS114 board for reference.  Apologize for the confusion.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your suggestion but i am little confuse. Do you have BCM9WCDPLUS114 EVB board on the market. If so then i can use for apple homekit and airplay, isn't it?. If there is no BCM9WCDPLUS114 EVB board on the market then i can still use BCM943341WCD1_EVB board which is on the market and this board has AuthIC, isn't it?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi,

No boards have an AuthIC since we can't populate it and ship it. So on then 943341 board we do have the layout to add an AuthIC 2.0c easily.

let me know if you have questions. Also AuthIC is only if you want to use WAC to pass the Access point credentials. You can test HomeKit independent of that if you hardcode the credentials.

0 Likes

Hi,

The BCM943341WCD1_EVB could be updated with an auth chip. Here is a blog post for instructions and platform files to update, BCM943341 and Apple Authorization Chip Interface

Same changes could be done to the BCM43362WDC4 EVB to interface auth chip.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jacky,

To add a bit more color to the answer, Apple requires that only authorized people get access to the authentication chip and they do this through their MFI program. Because vendors, such as Broadcom, are not the Apple Police; then they cant provide boards with the auth chip on them, however we can always provide boards with the footprint for the auth chip. With these boards you can add the auth chip easily yourself.

By example, here is the ACKme Moray board designed for development using the AMW006 Numbat module:

authchip.PNG

Click the picture above to see the schematic.

ACKme Networks

WICED Wi-Fi Forums

Engineering Services

Apple MFI WAC 6.x Approved

Apple MFI Group

WICED SDK with Apple HomeKit

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone make an EVB which has a receptacle for the Auth. Chip

evaluation board, also known as the "Bommel Board V2_1", instead of just

the PCB pads for the chip itself? That way I can just plug in my Apple

evals and I don't have to do any soldering.

This is the Bommel board:

Bommel.JPG

0 Likes