WebSocket Custom Port Setting

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I am trying to use the WICED's web socket API. I see that in the web socket library, the default port is set to port 80.

Also, I need some example apps for web socket.

Please help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Manish

0 Likes
11 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got some basic WebSocket Application up and running.

Before this, there are some changes that need to be done in the underlying WebSockets library.

In libraries/protocols/websocket/

(1) websocket.c: add the custom port that where the WebSocket server is listening to:

In function: static wiced_result_t websocket_connect( wiced_websocket_t* websocket, wiced_ip_address_t* address ), update the port:

result = wiced_tcp_connect( &websocket->socket, address, CUSTOM_SERVER_PORT, 10000 );

(2) web socket_handshake.c, add the port setting into the tcp stream:

/* < Host: ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4 >*/

wiced_tcp_stream_write( &stream, "Host: ", (uint16_t) strlen( "Host: " ) );

wiced_tcp_stream_write( &stream, websocket_header_fields->host, (uint16_t) strlen( websocket_header_fields->host ) );

wiced_tcp_stream_write( &stream, ":CUSTOM_SERVER_PORT", (uint16_t) strlen(":8080" ) );

wiced_tcp_stream_write( &stream, "\r\n", (uint16_t) strlen( "\r\n" ) );

Please remember to use the native web socket server not a socket.io wrapper upon web sockets running on your AWS.

I also added two more DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to get consistent success in DNS resolution.

Please find a minimal app attached. We hosted a sample web socket server on EC2. We also verified our app using the demo client hosted by web socket.org: See websocket.org Echo Test - Powered by Kaazing

Please change the WEBSOCKET_SERVER_IP_STRING to point to your EC2 IP address that hosts the web socket server. Also, I have currently hardcoded my server port into the web socket library. You can however, pass it along from the application to the library.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks, the web socket library is broken and has not been fixed since 3.1.2 (almost over a year). Until that is fixed, this web socket client is useless.

0 Likes

mkochhal

According to the developers, this has been fixed and taken care in SDK 3.5.x onwards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then can you please provide a sample application that would help ensure that the underlying WebSockets API is being used properly.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry - here also is the link to the client Beginners guide to ZentriOS : Websockets (Client)

Hi,

i have trouble to run the attached code in the page. When i change

#define WEBSOCKET_SERVER_IP_STRING       "ws://echo.websocket.org"

as the following then i assume that it will connect an echo server however, i have trouble to connect such a server. So what do you suggest for this issue. Do you suggest any solution related with this application.

Best Wishes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the port you are using ... I can try with this URL and see if this application works for me.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

Can you define your web socket server string as:

#define WEBSOCKET_SERVER_IP_STRING        "echo.websocket.org"

Also check your port.

Underlying protocol has been heavily debugged with printfs and changed to recover incase of errors ...

mkochhal​ i have tried to do what you have stated however there is nothing changed:

#define WEBSOCKET_SERVER_IP_STRING        "echo.websocket.org"

#define WEBSOCKET_PORT   8080 //3000.

there is one more place maybe need to change which is

websocket_handshake_fields.request_uri = "ws://54.193.101.214/";//socket.io/?transport=polling&b64=1";

what do you suggest now.

The procedure i have applied is the following:

i have downloaded code and insert wiced folder

then i changed the required changes in websocket.c and other file.

then i changed server_ip_string

then i run the code check with real term.

see error:Websocket

Thank you

0 Likes

Did anybody get this to work with the echo.websocket.org server?

Regards

Renejos

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are interested to see how to do this with ZentriOS which is makes certain functions of WICED a little easier to use, I have published two tutorials in the 'Beginners guide to ZentriOS' blog.

The first is about focused on running a server on the device (Beginners guide to ZentriOS : Websockets (Server), the second is about running a client.

Hope it helps!