WIFI fails to connect after a while

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
RoDe_1773541
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

I'm having an issue with wiced_network_up returning WICED error after about 30 minutes.  I'm connecting to the wifi network, sending a ping, and then disconnecting.  I've attached an example program to demonstrate the issue.  I'm running SDK 3.5.1 on the BCM4343W Avenet module.  Does anyone know of any solutions?  Can you reset the broadcom module without resetting the MCU?

Thanks,

-Rob

0 Likes
1 Solution

I just recently found the issue.  There was a small short on the board which was overloading the board's power supply causing the voltage to drop when the wifi module was transmitting.  It wasn't quite enough to cause the system to reset, but it was causing the system to become unstable...

Thanks,

-Rob

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

robjderr wrote:

I'm having an issue with wiced_network_up returning WICED error after about 30 minutes.

What is the error code of connect_result?

Which network stack are you using?

0 Likes

Could you check it is cause by the IP layer or WiFi Layer ?

IP Layer is most happen by DHCP renew fail then device released IP, You could saw the device IP address change to 0.0.0.0!

If WiFi link drop , you could check the WiFi link status or monitor the Link down event!

0 Likes
RoDe_1773541
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Right, the result code is just WICED_ERROR (4) from the wiced_network_up function.  I'm using ThreadX with NetX_Duo.  I think it's caused by the WiFI layer because the "Obtaining IPv4 address via DHCP" and "Successfully joined : " messages never appear. 

-Rob

0 Likes

You can add a few debug print in the error paths in the low level functions

called by wiced_network_up(). Then you will figure out exactly which function returns

the error.

0 Likes

I'll do that and figure out what function is returning the error.

-Rob

0 Likes

robjderr wrote:

I'll do that and figure out what function is returning the error.

-Rob

Hi,

Do you find which function makes the wiced_network_up failure?

0 Likes

I just recently found the issue.  There was a small short on the board which was overloading the board's power supply causing the voltage to drop when the wifi module was transmitting.  It wasn't quite enough to cause the system to reset, but it was causing the system to become unstable...

Thanks,

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi robjderr

I am using BCM94343W_AVN board to develop homekit solution using WICED SDK 3.7.0. The homekit accessory is able to connect and work for around 3~4 mins before they become "no response".

May I know the "short" you discovered that cause wifi to become unstable and how you fix it?

0 Likes

Hi Alanlhc,

The short was in our circuit, which wasn't related to the AVN module.  I don't think our problems are related.

Can you create a small sample application that demonstrates your problem and post it to the homekit forum?  I'll take a look and see if I can help...

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your fast response. You can try any homekit example in the WICED-SDK-MFi-3.7.0 SDK on BCM94343W_AVN board. Once apple native homekit app (iOS 10.0.2) added the accessory it can work for a while (3~5 mins)  and after that "no response".

0 Likes