WICED Studio 6.2.1.2 crashes frequently on MacOS High Sierra / Fixed in 6.4.0.61?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrTo_1576836
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hello,

WICED Studio 6.2.1.2 crashes frequently on MacOS High Sierra. After it crashes it always shows the following at the end of the crash report:

21  com.apple.CoreGraphics        0x00007fff2d69fd63 CGContextDelegateDrawWindowContents + 106

22  com.apple.SkyLight            0x00007fff4f0f14f8 SLContextCopyWindowContentsToRect + 178

23  com.apple.AppKit              0x00007fff2ab0f987 _NSRenderImageFromWindow + 1454

24  com.apple.AppKit              0x00007fff2ab0f3b9 _NXScroll + 451

25  com.apple.AppKit              0x00007fff2b0bd7ba NSCopyBitsFromGraphicsContext + 312

26  com.apple.AppKit              0x00007fff2b0bd67c NSCopyBits + 58

27  libswt-pi-cocoa-4430.jnilib    0x000000010e9d8f84 Java_org_eclipse_swt_internal_cocoa_OS_NSCopyBits + 187

This seems to be an Eclipse problem that other Eclipse users have reported, e.g. in comment 2 in this eclipse bug report:  502711 – [Cocoa][10.12] crashes on „macOS Sierra“ related to NSCopyBits

Question:  Is there a newer version of WICED Studio that fixes this problem?

Question:  Is there a patch for WICED Studio 6.2.1.2 that fixes this problem?

My targets are 4343W WiFi+BT so Modus toolbox does not appear to be an option?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Once again the debug error is an Eclipse specific issue which has been reported in Eclipse forums 529171 – Recent Pushed update causing - Reset Command not defined for device 'Generic TCP/IP' . Kindly, downgrade to Eclipse Oxygen release or check the gdb version and downgrade that only. Please follow the same steps as mentioned above which should solve the debug issue that you are facing currently.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Thanks for bringing this to our notice. Unfortunately, there is no patch available for this issue as of now.

0 Likes
GrTo_1576836
Level 2
Level 2

Following up,

WICED 6.2.1.2 continues to crash constantly on MacOS High Sierra. The most frequent usage scenario is edit a file, save the change, then try to make the target -- the entire IDE immediately crashes and exits. Roughly 3 or 4 out of every 5 cycles it crashes like this with the same NSCopyBits internal error. Since the edit/compile cycle is frequent during development, this makes it extremely difficult to be productive.

Is there any timeline for a fix (see NSCopyBits info in original post) or for a newer version of WICED Studio that's stable on MacOS?

Thanks

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you an exact timeline for this fix. For now, you can try one thing. Download Eclipse IDE from web and Go to File>New>Makefile Project with Existing Code and point to the SDK already installed by WICED Studio in your system. That should temporarily resolve this crash issue.

RaktimR_11

Tried the suggestion using latest Eclipse 2018-12. Able to build code and download to target, but debugger doesn't work as expected. e.g. setting a breakpoint always causes the debugger to spontaneously terminate.

The WICED 6.2.1.2 eclipse crashing problem seems to trace to these two files in the plugins directory:

• org.eclipse.swt_3.103.2.v20150203-1313.jar
  • org.eclipse.swt.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_3.103.2.v20150203-1351.jar

Are there patched versions of these files that fix the NSCopyBits problem?

0 Likes

Kindly check the correct debug configurations as mentioned Re: wiced Debug and then check whether you are facing any issue in debugging.

You can try updating the above two jar files with the latest eclipse build and see if that fixes NSCopyBIts problem for you.

I checked the debug settings against the Word document. Everything matches except that if "Halt" is left check-marked in the Startup tab the following error always occurs when try to run the debugger:

--------

'Launching 43xxx_Wi-Fi_Debug_OSX' has encountered a problem.

Error in final launch sequence

Halt command not defined for device 'Generic TCP/IP'

-------

Also tried updating just the two swt jar files in the plugins directory, but when WICED Eclipse starts up when those files are used it generates an error that says:

An error has occurred.

See the log file /Users/xxxxxx/WICED-Studio-6.2/configuration/1552396944569.log

When I look in that log file, I see a bunch of messages about unable to find swt plugin with bundle-version 3.103. The updated swt jar files I'm using are 3.104 versions.

I do see the plugins called out in these files, maybe their references also need to be updated there?

./artifacts.xml

./configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info

./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/180/data/1645363592/artifacts.xml

0 Likes

Once again the debug error is an Eclipse specific issue which has been reported in Eclipse forums 529171 – Recent Pushed update causing - Reset Command not defined for device 'Generic TCP/IP' . Kindly, downgrade to Eclipse Oxygen release or check the gdb version and downgrade that only. Please follow the same steps as mentioned above which should solve the debug issue that you are facing currently.

GrTo_1576836
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I see that WICED Studio 6.4.0.61 was recently released.

Was the MacOS High Sierra NSCopyBits crashing issue from 6.2.1.2 fixed in this release? It looks like the org.eclipse.swt plugins in 6.4.0.61 are still the same versions as in WICED Studio 6.2.1.2

Thanks

0 Likes