Still can't generate an RF test pattern in production firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeFe_4295646
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

This thread was locked a couple weeks ago... Generate an RF test pattern in "production" firmware. but did not end with anything useful for us.

However the final answer did not work for us, the call to "wl fqacurcy 6" fails with the production wifi installed, this must be done with the mfg test firmware, which does not allow the product to work.

As our test time cannot afford a re-flash of the wifi blob during functional test, our initial production will not be able to test the WiFi RF performance during functional test, we're relying on AOI and other quality control measures to ensure proper component installation and operation during initial production.

However, we would really like to close this gap in testing.

We've considered staging an OTA2 image in the staging area with an incomplete header that would be completed by a test command - allowing us to replace the WiFi firmware in place - faster than an external re-flash, but still a time hit and there are many other checks required to ensure this does not present other problems.

Alternatively, and more preferred, is there simply a way to force continuous or nearly continuous transmission of packets in a stream?

This is the same CYW43907 hardware as in linked discussion.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

1. board test ,  wifi, bt , modem,  RF tests..

2.  Function tests,  include screen , audio , wifi, bt, modem, gps tests from menu .

all MFG firmware,  all test scripts are included in the image from above two steps.

Board tests make sure hardware has no problems,  it is easy to test with the antenna point on a fixture box.

Function tests make sure the assemble station has no problems.

3.  After passing all the tests,  do a recovery ,  do a package .

This image will not leave any test history or files in the image.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hello:

I think if you are considering an OTA2 mechanism , Would you please think about below steps?

1.  Factory image is your normal production + normal firmware.

2.  download an image with your production image but + mfg firmware  .

I think above two steps are necessary for an OTA2 product.

then do all the tests by using step2 application+MFG firmware, after all tests done and before moving to next stage,  pressing power key to enter factory reset.

0 Likes
SeFe_4295646
Level 3
Level 3

Ya we're considering something along those lines:

Create an image file that consists of:
1  factory download that is our app (with test support) and MFG WiFi firmware - as above
2. An OTA2 update image which updates the WiFi firmware, with a mostly complete, but not valid header (so the bootloader does NOT try to update on power up).

Flash that combine image onto the external flash device (bare part) in bulk programmer prior to PCB assembly (this is how firmware is loaded in our production)

During production test the device may be powered on several times if issues are found prior to getting to RF test - so we definitely don't want the update to automatically occur until AFTER a passing RF test result.  So, during functional test when the RF test is executed, if a passing result is found by the test fixture (host) program, it would send a command to the device (via communication through another on-board processor) to execute the update - the routine would complete the header and execute a reset such that the bootloader would extract the update.

There is a lot of work in making this happen.
1. The fail-safe must contain production, not WiFi firmware.
2. There has to be an automated / scripted process to build the combine image for flash programming above.
3. There must be safeguards in place to ensure the device does not leave the factory prior to the WiFi firmware update.
4. The test sequence needs to be altered such that the update occurs while the functional test is testing other components (i.e. our 915 MHz radio device) such that the update time is not added to the total test time.
5. We have to implement all these changes to production test remotely from the factory site (all is done in China, and china travel is an issue right now).

Other team members will probably have more concerns, but in theory this could be done.  I am happy to discuss this further, if we go this route (probably deserves its own discussion, happy to start one if/when we get there).

However, It would be very preferable to simplify the procedure to not need a flash update during functional test.  So - with all this as justification for the original question, that question still stands: 

Is there a way to generate a (nearly) continuous packet transmit stream with the normal / production WiFi firmware?

Thanks and best regards
Sean

0 Likes

Thanks for the detail,  from what I knew is in factory they should have many test stations which will execute different hardware test like RF test (include wifi, bt , 915M modem test ) , and some test software and scripts will be installed into the image for tests, after passing all the tests there will be a recovery act , then the machine have a normal image which can be sold to customers. 

and more detailed , there will be :

2.  Function tests,  include screen , audio , wifi, bt, modem, gps tests from menu .

The recovery image was verified in test team very enough, not used in factory test station.

Now I think you are considering putting board tests item into function tests.   but if #1,#2 have same image for the tests, it is fine also.   but finally , you still need a  recovery .

by the way

2. There has to be an automated / scripted process to build the combine image for flash programming above.

only need a script for the download, do not need to compile the image every time.

0 Likes

all MFG firmware,  all test scripts are included in the image from above two steps.

Board tests make sure hardware has no problems,  it is easy to test with the antenna point on a fixture box.

Function tests make sure the assemble station has no problems.

This image will not leave any test history or files in the image.

0 Likes
SeFe_4295646
Level 3
Level 3

A little further clarification.

Our functional test is our board test - since its a single board product.  We do have a "box build" test which is pretty much a power on test when the board is in its enclosure with its mated power supply module, but there is no command line or RF access to the UUT at that time.

What I'd need from a script - when we release a factory image is...

Compile our app / project.  Create a factory download image with the MFG test firmware.  And also create an OTA2 image of the same, but with the production WiFi firmware (or assuming the OTA2 image can update by module, maybe JUST the wifi firmware - I haven't looked to see if these are separate blocks within an OTA2 image, our app is the same and does not need updated), then modify the OTA2 image header, and combine the 2 images into one file to send to the manufacturer to program the flash devices.

Still, we REALLY want to avoid this process, and see if we can use the production WiFi firmware without modification to send a known set of packets on a defined channel / bandwidth / modulation such that a spectral analysis of the RF detected by a near by antenna can detect if there are component issues in the RF path (i.e. the filter & transmatch).

0 Likes

I think you can have a try by using UDP stream.

1.  Set a AP in production line.

2.   the board will join the AP for test with normal firmware.

3.  using UDP data transfer with a very small interval .

0 Likes
SeFe_4295646
Level 3
Level 3

Is there no way to force wifi transmit without joining an AP (manually set a channel / mode)?
I don't want the AP transmissions to be included in the spectrum analysis, and we want to quickly change channels to test low and high ends of each band.

0 Likes

We want to quickly change channels to test low and high ends of each band.

That is a non-signal mode,  from my personal understanding we can't do this in a normal release firmware .

0 Likes