RF tests like WICED "Manufacturing test app" under LINUX OS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello, our customer needs to do some RF tests on the final product, and in order to do so He needs to have available some commands which are provided by WICED "Manufaturing test application", but under LINUX OS. Under Linux OS We are now using BRCMFMAC.BIN, interfacing the module via SDIO (murata module SN8000x, using BCM43362)). My question is : there is any chance to do so under LINUX, even possibly changing the module firmware, if needed? In negative case, Which approach is suggested?

Kind regards,

Giuseppe

0 Likes
4 Replies
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi Giuseppe,

Currently we only support manufacturing tests on Windows. The executable files are provided in SDK/apps/test/mfg_test. We also provide a manufacturing test guide in /doc/WICED-MFG202-R.pdf.

Thanks,
Jaeyoung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jaeyoung,

I'm sorry, I wasn't so clear. I'll try to explain better what I mean : WICED WIFI and related  apps are based on an microcontroller architecture e.g.: STM32, that is interfaced to BCM43362 via SDIO/SPI on one side, while e.g.: UART on PC side. mfg_test foresee WL application on PC side (and this is not a problem for us), but WL "speaks" via UART with a firmware partly loaded on STM32, and partly loaded on BCM43362.

Now our problem :

in our target, instead of STM32, We use and iMX28 FREESCALE with LINUX OS, interfaced to SN8000x Murata module (basically BCM43362 + antenna) via SDIO. The firmware loaded on SN8000x is BRCMFMAC.BIN. And for normal WIFI operation everything works properly SW drivers provided by broadcom works well under LINUX and BRCMFMAC loaded on module.  But now the customer is asking to have the possibility to do some commands like the ones indicated in WICED-MFG202-R.PDF (page 12). Basically :

• Sets transmit power output (txpwr1)
    • Set TX rate (rateset)
    • Burst mode (frameburst)
    • Set the strength of carrier signal

And I don't know if LINUX SW driver (target) and related BRCMFMAC.BIN are able to support them. If this is not possible, I would like to have an indication of the best way to do so : eg.: change .BIN, with a specific one coming from..

At least, to have a clear picture of mfg_test, by understanding which is the firmware running on STM32 and the one used on BCM43362, and related directory trees with source codes..

Many thanks and

kind regards,

Giuseppe

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Jaeyoung,

Just a brief update about the matter of the previous message:

We have changed the brcmfmac-43362.bin with the one used by WICED for mfg_test, 43362A2-mfgtest.bin, and apparently the WIFI layer still works. Obviously We have done just for trial, in order to check if it’s possible to prepare a very special BSP to be used in case of RF test on final product, but still based on LINUX OS.

Now We are trying to understand how to split the WL application, provided on WICED SDK as  source code, to have the client capable to send test UART commands (as per WICED-MFG202-R.PDF, page 12) running on HOST  (PC WIN and/or LINUX) and the server capable to tunnel the received UART commands towards Murata module SN8000x via SDIO : under directory apps\test\mfg_test\43362A2\wl\exe  in WICED SDK there are sources for wl client and server side, but unfortunately are all together and is not so easy to understand who does what, makefiles involved etc. I wasn’t able to collect any documentation since now.

Anyway, if/when You have any suggestions or tips that could help us, please let us know :  they are really welcome.

many thanks and

kind regards,

Giuseppe

0 Likes

Hello Giuseppe,

What you are trying to do is possible.  You may need to use either brcmfmac or bcmdhd. From your description looks like you are using brcmfmac.

As of now I believe manufacturing test is only supported by bcmdhd. To get bcmdhd running you may need some porting work to get it work on your platform.

Quick Start with iMX6 Ultralite EVK and Mass Market Modules

OpenSource release of bcmdhd 141.88

Helping with porting work maybe beyond the scope of this forum. If you need help with porting work please reach out to us and we can help you.

Packet Path

Thanks,

Venkat