Quicksilver EVL (Murata 1GC) Powersave and Deepsleep problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kiFo_3714346
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm testing the powersave and deep sleep function on the QuickSilver evaluation board and I'm getting deceiving result.

I'm wondering if I'm doing thing wrong.

For now i've tested the powersave and deepsleep snippet that is included in the WICED SDK. And I'm measuring the current draw with a multimeter inline with the USB port. So every measurement is done at 5V level.

With the "snip.ping_deepsleep-Quicksilver_EVL download run" :

I'm getting 220 mA down to 180 mA in deepsleep.

With the "snip.ping_powersave-Quicksilver_EVL download run"

I'm getting 190 mA in powersave and  210 mA in ping .

and for comparaison with "snip.uart-Quicksilver_EVL download run" I get 190 mA.

I've tried a patch that PriyaM_16 posted on a problem in SDK 6.2 and it didn't solve the issue. (Getting very High current consumption in tcp_client_powersave application )

What can I do to improve the current consumption of the device ?

0 Likes
5 Replies
BiCo_3773821
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Hi - I have a couple of suggestions for you:

In WICED Studio under the Project Explorer tab, go to the doc directory.  Right click on the API.html file and choose open with System Editor.  This will open the WICED™ 6.2.1 - API Reference Guide.  In the guide under the WICED Documentation section, click to open the WICED Power Save Application Note.  This App Note provides some good information on the low power modes of the WICED devices.

You can use the wiced_deinit() function as described in Section 2.1 of the App Note to cut power to the WiFi chip to see the current draw of the module vs current draw of the entire board.

In the ping_powersave.c file, on line; 76 #define WIFI_SLEEP_TIME (1000 * MILLISECONDS), change the value from 1000 to 10,000 or greater to ensure your power measurements are accurate.  1 second may not be enough time for your multi meter to settle in and give an accurate measurement whereas 10+ seconds will eliminate this possibility.

Keep in mind your current measurements include all of the parts on the board including some things you may not want to use in a product if you are concerned about current consumption, such as the FTDI, RGB LED, and Ethernet sections.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Hello Bill,

The 10 seconds delay didn't help.

For the wiced_deinit(), I've read that in the documentation and that's the reason why i've included the consumption for the snip.uart which doesn't have an Wi-Fi initialisation.

With that said , what consumption should I expect for the 1GC module (alone)?  I didn't found any information in the datasheet of this module.

0 Likes

Here are the current draw specs for the Murata 1GC module:

802.11n, 2.4 GHz mode.   (The 5GHz numbers are slightly higher for Tx)

DC Characteristics -                                      typ.            max.

1. DC current

1) Tx mode (1024byte, 20usec interval)      310 mA      410 mA

2) Rx mode                                                  100 mA      150 mA

Hope that helps,

Bill

Hello Bill,

That the spec when the RF frontend is ON.

Do you have spec in sleep mode and without the RF Frontend (when it's not init) ?

Kim

0 Likes

The Murata module does not spec current draw while in sleep mode.  Here is the data regarding sleep current for the CYW43907 chip which is in the Murata 1GC module.

I hope this helps you,

Bill

pastedImage_1.png