Question regarding RTC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi,

With WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC, I would expect after setting RTC time and reboot

then I can still get correct rtc time.

However, I found platform_rtc_init will always setting the rtc time to default_rtc_time during boot.

As a result, everytime reboot the device, the rtc time is wrong.

Note, all support platforms has such behavior - always setting the rtc time to default_rtc_time during boot.

Can someone explain this?

16 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

It is true that after reboot, platform_rtc_set_time() will write default RTC time in platform_rtc_init(). Check if you can periodically update the DCT with RTC time and after reset, read the last RTC update saved in DCT.

0 Likes

In my use case, the NTP sync may fail.

So I expect I can read correct RTC value after reboot even if NTP sync failure.

You cannot expect people to update RTC value via DCT because I cannot always

get correct date-time to update RTC.

(And if I can always get correct date-time, I even don't need RTC at all.)

I think current implementation is SDK bug.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

It is true that after reboot, platform_rtc_set_time() will write default RTC time in platform_rtc_init(). Check if you can periodically update the DCT with RTC time and after reset, read the last RTC update saved in DCT.

I re-think your reply and I think it's *wrong*.

No matter how frequently you periodically save the RTC time in DCT, after reboot, the saved-time is incorrect anyway. The time past away.

I agree with your comment... saving time periodically in the DCT is not a good idea.

0 Likes

arh wrote:

I agree with your comment... saving time periodically in the DCT is not a good idea.

It's not about agree or not. It just won't work, it's clearly a bug.

And the point is I have waited too long (almost 10 months since I reported it) and still not sure when will the fix available.

0 Likes

Ill see if I can figure out what the state of the JIRA is.

Alan

0 Likes

arh wrote:

Ill see if I can figure out what the state of the JIRA is.

Any update? Can I expect this issue to be fixed in next release?

0 Likes
0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi cypress team,

Can I expect RTC to be working in next release?

0 Likes

axel.lin_1746341 wrote:

Hi cypress team,

Can I expect RTC to be working in next release?

grsr

Any update? (This was reported 6 months ago).

0 Likes

I am following up with the engineers (again) for an update. A ticket had been raised on this issue in December. So no comments right now.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

I am following up with the engineers (again) for an update. A ticket had been raised on this issue in December. So no comments right now.

grsr

It has been quite long time since I reported this issue.

Will upcoming release fix the RTC issue?

0 Likes

GauravS_31 wrote:

wiced-6.6 does not include the fix.

It has been quite long time since this issue was reported, can you update the status?

0 Likes

@GauravS_31 wrote:

@GauravS_31 

Still no update?

0 Likes
NiMc_1688136
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 50 questions asked 10 solutions authored

Reviving this post to see if there has been any updates. I am encountering the same issue with RTCC and wish to not only preserve the time while in hibernate but increment time too.

As of now, when I wake from hibernate, the RTCC registers is reset. NTP is not an option during this mode and i need to timestamp events for a log.

0 Likes

nickmckendree_1688136 wrote:

Reviving this post to see if there has been any updates.

I don't get any update.

0 Likes