Not booting with OTA2_bootloader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am working on Avnet iot starter kit which uses BCM94343W_AVN chip.

I tried booting the ota2_example with normal bootloader and its booting up and I am able to get the console up and I am able to run few commands also.

But if I give the command update_now with an ota2_image_file.bin in the external flash it is showing as extracting but its restarting with the old image itself.

So I doubt its an issue of not running the ota2_example with ota2_bootloader.

I tried running the same application with with this ota2_bootloader but I am not able to get the application up and running.

Also can anyone give a step by step explaination on how to do an ota2_upgrade without hosting server for just testing purpose. I mean how to use update_now command.

I am using wiced 3.7.0

0 Likes
16 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

You might want to take a look at this help article seyhan​ created: OTA2 Update for SDK-3.7.0

Unfortunately, I believe OTA2 is not suitable for all platforms at this point.

This should have been made clear in the documentation, but it seems to be causing confusion.

-WICED-OTA2.pdf located under the doc directory within SDK 3.7.0

-example source code under apps/snip/ota2_example

My understanding is that the 4390X platform is the only one supported within the broad market.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to port it  to 4343x platform by taking inputs from other platforms which has this ota2 support.

Is it not possible?

If possible can you guide me to do that.

0 Likes

mwf_mmfae wrote:

You might want to take a look at this help article seyhan created: OTA2 Update for SDK-3.7.0

Unfortunately, I believe OTA2 is not suitable for all platforms at this point.

This should have been made clear in the documentation, but it seems to be causing confusion.

Keep saying OTA2 is not suitable for all platforms does not help at all!

The fact is not everyone has a 4390X platform.

If the only requirement is external flash, people will reference the changes

in 4390X platform and try on other platforms with external flash. And thus call for help here...

You have a OTA2 example now for 4390X platform, you need to provide

documentation about how to porting OTA2 to other platforms.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Axel for your support.

Hi mwf_mmfae,

I think I have added the ota2_image_defines.mk and other required changes to atleast the build the ota2_example without any build errors.

But the issue is that with ota2_bootloader I am not able to bring the application up. When I debugged I found that its not failing in the following mentioned line. Atleast you help in solving this issue.

if ( load_details->valid != 0 )

Hence its not hitting the following function wiced_waf_start_app( entry_point );

But when I checked the normal bootloader.c I found that this function is directly called and its jumping to the application code.

I tried that way too but its keep on looping in the main() in ota2_bootloader.c and_start() function.

Also I have seen that when I do a debug I am able to see the bootloader logs but when I do a free run I am not able to get any prints at all

Please provide me with some help for these issue as OTA2 is very important for our project

0 Likes

anandram wrote:

Thanks Axel for your support.

No, thank *you* for your contribution in this topic.

I'm one of the person who want to test OTA2 but do not have a 4390X platform.

I learn from the documents and the feedback from the forum at current stage.

Axel

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Axel,

I doubt you are also stuck up limbo, same as me. Is your situation also same as me or you have done more progress. If yes, please help me out.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes

anandram wrote:

Hi Axel,

I doubt you are also stuck up limbo, same as me. Is your situation also same as me or you have done more progress. If yes, please help me out.

Thanks in advance

My case is more complex than yours.

My target platform is BCM4343W/BCM43438, however I need to use LwIP build which is not yet supported by OTA2.

0 Likes

An internal team of developers are looking into what it would take to document and use OTA2 on a non-43907 based platform.

0 Likes

mwf_mmfae wrote:

An internal team of developers are looking into what it would take to document and use OTA2 on a non-43907 based platform.

Thanks, that would be helpful.

I think this is the right thing to do, so your partners and developers on the

forum can help adding OTA2 support for more platforms.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mwf_mmfae,

Any updates

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Please make it fast as I am really struggling with this. Its been 3-4 days since you have told that your team is working.

0 Likes

anandram wrote:

HI,

Please make it fast as I am really struggling with this. Its been 3-4 days since you have told that your team is working.

Hi anandram​,

I found SDK-3.7.0 doc/WICED-OTA2.pdf section 8 "Adding OTA2 to a new platform".

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates

I'll talk to the AE team to see if they can formulate a response.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates

mwf_mmfae wrote:

I'll talk to the AE team to see if they can formulate a response.

It has been 3 weeks since you replied, but there is no follow up actions?

0 Likes