Limitation of SSID and PASSPHRASE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrDa_2135471
Level 1
Level 1

The connection settings in wifi_config_dct.h define various SSID and PASSPHRASE options for WICED.

Are there any restrictions on string length (minimum and maximum)?

Are there restrictions on the character code values? ASCII 0x20 to 0x7E have been suggested.

Are there any restrictions on character mix? (e.g. mixed upper and lower case, minimum of upper and lower case characters, minimum numeric count)

I notice that <wiced_network_up( ..... )>  simply appears to lock up (SDK 3.1.2) if a 'short' PASSPHRASE is submitted.

All and any help appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Graham,

Please go through the README.txt provided in the SDK it cover all the supported features and known limitations. You might find it helpful.

Thanks

RJ

0 Likes

rashijain

There are no references in the README.TXT file that address these questions, let alone the fact that the WiFi setup function simply locks up with short PASSPHRASE when I would expect it to report an error !

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Graham,

Are there any restrictions on string length (minimum and maximum)?

The SSID can have a maximum of 30 chars:-

This is what I tested it with: %L:~t}}FTjn3?6Bq+QZ42(ftUwfR/T

Answers your second question as well.

Are there restrictions on the character code values? ASCII 0x20 to 0x7E have been suggested.

The AP_SECURITY in the default_wifi_config_dct.h is set to WPA2_MIXED_PSK. You can use 0x20 to 0x7E as long as the length of the pass phrase remains between 8 and 63 chars.

Are there any restrictions on character mix? (e.g. mixed upper and lower case, minimum of upper and lower case characters, minimum numeric count)

No restrictions on the number of characters to be mixed.

Best Regards,

AB

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks AB

0 Likes