How to program EWB STERLING module?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
dvir92
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi
we designed a custom board that contains the wifi module: EWB-STERLING,(453-00014R )
In my board, I routing the USART1 pins to FTDI chip (FT4232 with 4 Channels).
I search all over the laird guides and no one mentioned how to program the board if I have custom board.

all the guides talk about the DVK and thats all.
my pc has recognized the FTDI with a generic name when I'm looking in the device manager(without the WICED NAME SIGNATURE).
I don't have any JTAG header( if its must I need to do redesign and I hope its not the case)

so how do I program the EWB module in the first time with USART1 through the FTDI? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Qi_Colin
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hi @dvir92 :

This is custom JTAG driver of FT4232H issue, and our driver provided in Wiced SDK for FT2232H can't be compatible with your design.

As I know, FT4232H has some different configs with FT2232H, so you'd better to ask FTDI for technical support.

Best Regards,

Colin

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

If you need to program FW from WICED IDE, JTAG is required.

I've check the Software DVK Guide - Sterling-EWB of EWB-STERLING, and you can find the Sterling-EWB block diagram on Page 5 like below:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 182757.jpg

The FTDI 2232 also provide JTAG via the USB port.

OTOH, whether you can program FW to STM32F412 via USART1 or not, I have no idea about that.

It's better to check with Laird.

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes

I told that I have custom board , I have FTDI4232

Laird don’t answering to any questions.

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

Please help to check whether you routed JTAG from FT4232 to STM32F412 in your board or not?

I found the WIFI_JTAG_XXXX had routed out in your attached schematic.

WICED IDE can support USB to FTDI chip programming STM32F412 via JTAG connector.

If you want to update the driver of FTDI chip over your PC, please check the section 3.5.1 (on page 11) of Software DVK Guide - Sterling-EWB.

OTOH, after you download WICED SDK from infineon website and installed it, the driver is automatically updated.

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes

Yes you exactly right, the JTAG routed to EWB module, I missed it.

I read about the FTDI, the default mode is UART and I need to change it to JTAG, try to understand how.

0 Likes

Hi, the default mode of FTDI is UART, how to I change it to JTAG? 

what do I need to install after that? I saw all over the internet it looks complicated that needs to edit the CFG file of OpenOCD or its happen directly with the WICED Software? 

you have any manual please?

thanks

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

After you install the WICED, what's status of FTDI, still UART?

I'm not sure whether the driver in WICED package can support FT4232 or not.

I need to check it.

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes

ok thanks,

waiting for your answer.

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

Could you also help to check the status of FTDI in device manager after you install the WICED SDK on PC?

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes

I changed the PID and VID of my FTDI 4232, with FT_PROG( program it to EEPROM)

now the device manager recognized the WICED PORT(the same name when Im connecting the DVK of LAIRD). 

but I still cant program it, using the FLASH_AT.BAT file and the error is "Tue 12/27/2022 18:29:40.10 Start Flash Procedure ...
Downloading Bootloader ...
ERROR - OpenOCD is unable to communicate with the target EWB.
Please verify that the unit is properly connected, and that the WICED USB drivers are installed.
Please run drivers\CYW9WCD1EVAL1\InstallDriver.exe in the zip file to load the WICED USB driver."

the batch file are ok because when im connecting the DVK its works fine.

the BOOT0 and BOOT1 '0' state.

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

According to your log information, the driver is still working abnormal for OpenOCD.

Have you tried the driver in the path "WICED-Studio-6.6\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\drivers\CYW9WCD1EVAL1\InstallDriver.exe"?

Because FTDI is not our products, we've only provided the driver in WICED SDK, normally for FT2232H chip.

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes
dvir92
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE:

There is some progress, I succeed in programming the module, but I noticed that it does not send a reset after each programming process in the BATCH file.

Ilook at the DVK in schematic and see :

dvir92_0-1672317129773.png

The USB_MICRO_RST controlled by the CYW9WCD1VAL1.cfg file.:

ftdi_vid_pid 0x0a5c 0x43fa 0x04b4 0xf900
ftdi_layout_init 0x0008 0x020b
ftdi_layout_signal nSRST -data 0x0080 -oe 0x0080
ftdi_layout_signal nTRST -data 0x0200 -oe 0x0200
#ftdi_tdo_sample_edge falling

The highlighted lines indicate how the FTDI is masked, in which mode it will wake up(After some reading in OPENOCD GUIDE) and the behavior of MCU_RESET signal. 

In my case my FTDI4232HL designed differently:

dvir92_1-1672317447245.png

You can see that the RESET signal is connected to BDBUS3 (the name is written differently so I wrote it manually), how do I link the mask of the file I mentioned above(CYW9WCD1VAL1) and the RESET that needs to be done like they do in EVB?

*I tried to understand from the OPENOCD guide but without success, I don't understand the functionality of ftdi_layout_signal

*EDIT: Please note that im not using any level shifter/driver likewise in the DVK(U9) in the schematic.

In my board, the signal routed directly to MCU

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

Sorry for that this custom config of FT4232H is out of my knowledge.

I've found the application notes of custom config of FTDI, and I wish it's helpful to you.

I also suggest you contact FTDI for technical support for this issue.

Best Regards,

Colin

0 Likes
dvir92
Level 1
Level 1

The config file written by infineon, and the config belongs to Wiced software, its not yours responsibility ? 

0 Likes
Qi_Colin

Hi @dvir92 :

This is custom JTAG driver of FT4232H issue, and our driver provided in Wiced SDK for FT2232H can't be compatible with your design.

As I know, FT4232H has some different configs with FT2232H, so you'd better to ask FTDI for technical support.

Best Regards,

Colin