How to get RSSI of received packet

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I need to get RSSI values of any received packet in monitor mode, i.e. probe requests, assoc/deassoc request, beacons etc.
Information from my scan provides RSSI only about APs around, but I need to get RSSI of any packet.

RSSI is present in the radiotap header, but this header is catted in firmware, I suppose, and not being transferred via sdio/sdpcm.

I have tried to use your api like wwd_wifi_get_ap_client_rssi (). I also tried to create my own version to work with STA iface wwd_wifi_get_rssi_by_mac but this approach failed.

Also I have investigated all IOCTL commands and found WLC_SET_MSGLEVEL, perhaps this call can be configured to send radiotap header?

Please help.

WICED 3.3.1
chip SM43362

Regards

0 Likes
3 Replies
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

I'm confused with the functions to get RSSI.

What's the meaning (and difference) of the RSSI value got by below functions?

wwd_wifi_get_ap_info( &ap_info, &sec ); // There is a RSSI value in ap_info.RSSI

wwd_wifi_get_rssi( &rssi );

wwd_wifi_get_ap_client_rssi(&rssi, (wiced_mac_t*)&current->octet[0]);

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have tried the wwd_wifi_get_rssi( &rssi ). I think this is the one when your module is in STA mode associating to a local access point?

For the wwd_wifi_get_ap_client_rssi(&rssi, (wiced_mac_t*)&current->octet[0]), I think this is the one when your module is in SoftAP mode and has clients associated to it.

0 Likes

mkochhal wrote:

We have tried the wwd_wifi_get_rssi( &rssi ). I think this is the one when your module is in STA mode associating to a local access point?

wwd_wifi_get_rssi( &rssi ) returns rssi value when the device is running as AP.

To avoid confusing, I think Broadcom had better provides documentation for the APIs they provided.

0 Likes