How to configure WICED debugger for J-LINK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoMc_863046
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello,

I am trying to configure WICED to debug the CYW4343W, specifically the Laird Sterling EWB. 

Since this is ST based, it seems much of what I have found through searches does not apply.

I am using a SEGGER J-Link.  I believe I may have to create a flashloader configuration but I'm not sure where or how to apply this.

I have three options when I go to Debug Configurations

- GDB Hardware Debugging

- GDB OpenOCD Debugging

- GDB SEGGER J-Link Debugging

I am using WICED v6.6

My make target is:

laird.<app_name>-LAIRD_EWB-ThreadX-NetX-SDIO-debug download

Thank you,

-Rocko

0 Likes
1 Solution
RoMc_863046
Level 3
Level 3

I received a PDF from Cypress via my Laird FAE (cannot post to the thread)

I am now able to use JLink with WICED SDK.

Side note:

This driver seems to have broke the connection between the JLink module and Seggers's J-Link tools but, I am now debugging in WICED and that was the goal.

-Rocko

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Rocko,

Here’s a couple options on setting up the debugger that may give some insight:

I use a reference from Priya @ Cypress that was attached to the Community Post, “wiced Debug” @ . https://community.cypress.com/message/152296

There’s a similar document from Murata that has some different settings than recommended in the attached. Reference the Community Post “Wiced Debugging challenges” @ https://community.cypress.com/message/202988

The differences appear to be due to the location of executable code. Reference section 4, “Known Issues/Fixes” in the WICED Release notes @ https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-17741

Greg

Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hey Rocko,

Just for the clarification on my side, do you want to debug the host(ST based) or the CYW4343W Cypress combo chip?

Thanks

0 Likes

AditiB_81

I want to debug the application on the CYW4343W Cypress combo chip.  My understanding is, the MCU on the combo chip is an STM32F412 Cortex M4.  This is the only MCU on the Laird Sterling EWB evaluation board.

-Rocko

0 Likes
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hey Rocko,

Yes, Laird Sterling EWB evaluation board has STM32F412 Cortex M4 MCU, but this MCU is not on the combo chip (CYW4343W). Basically, the module on the eval board comes with an integrated STM32F412 MCU with the Cypress CYW4343W chip. You can refer to the block diagram given below:

pastedImage_0.png

So, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you want to debug the applications that will be downloaded on the host MCU integrated in the module i.e. STM32F412 and not the Cypress chip cause applications are not running on the Cypress chip.

You can refer to the following space: Laird Connectivity for your reference:

Laird Connectivity

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes
RoMc_863046
Level 3
Level 3

AditiB_81

Yes, You are correct.  I want to debug the applications that will be downloaded on the host MCU integrated in the module i.e. STM32F412 and not the Cypress chip.

Thank you,

-Rocko

0 Likes
RoMc_863046
Level 3
Level 3

I received a PDF from Cypress via my Laird FAE (cannot post to the thread)

I am now able to use JLink with WICED SDK.

Side note:

This driver seems to have broke the connection between the JLink module and Seggers's J-Link tools but, I am now debugging in WICED and that was the goal.

-Rocko

0 Likes