How do I port a WICED-SDK-1.x app to WICED-SDK-2.x ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an app that works with WICED_SDK-1.3, how do I make it work with WICED-SDK-2.2.1 ?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
To answer this question and to help you understand WICED 2.x, let me describe the WICED development process over the past 2 years ...

WICED-SDK-1.x

- was designed primarily to provide customers with an embedded Wi-Fi driver (which, prior to WICED, did not exist).

- we provided just enough example code on top of the WICED Wi-Fi driver to show how to use the driver with an RTOS/TCP stack

- many customers used it, but got bogged down trying to implement a bootloader, OTA upgrade, TLS security, robust network interface, full-featured web-server etc etc

- this delayed time to market for all customers which was clearly an unacceptable situation

To address this issue and help customers get to market faster, we decided to step up a level and provide everything needed to build a secure embedded wireless networking application with advanced network features. We also licensed an expensive commercial RTOS/TCP stack (IPv4/IPv6 - ThreadX/NetX Duo) and TLS1.1 library and provided this *free* to customers.

WICED-SDK-2.x

- Added an Application framework : Bootloader, OTA Upgrade, Factory Reset, Device Configuration Table, Configuration Mode, System Monitor

- Created high level APIs to completely abstract the RTOS & Network stack

- Added lots of high level APIs & libraries including network streaming, HTTP(S) client/server, mDNS, SNTP, SMTP, peripheral (UART/SPI/I2C) libraries etc

- *AND* we have tried as hard as possible to keep the original WICED-SDK-1.x Wi-Fi driver (WWD) disentangled in case customers just want to use that. Indeed, WICED-SDK-1.3 apps will run perfectly fine inside WICED-SDK-2.x with a few minor changes that generally take less than an hour to port.

What is important to note is that virtually *all* WICED SDK 2.x APIs *rely* on the WICED Application Framework.

If you choose not to use parts of the framework, your application will almost certainly not work correctly.

We have done the best we can to provide flexibility for folks wishing to use parts of the SDK and not other parts, but it is difficult to provide  enough flexibility to suit everyone. We try to accommodate requests for flexibility where possible.

WICED-SDK-2.3.0 will include example apps showing how to use just the WICED Wi-Fi driver, but in the meantime, I will attach a couple of demo apps to this post.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have attached WWD example applications for WICED-SDK-2.2.1.

NOTE: THe attachment is actually a 7zip file (rename the PDF extension to 7z) before extracting using 7zip.org.

These examples demonstrate how to build wwd applications that DO NOT use the WICED Application Framewrok.

To use these apps:

1. Unzip the attached archive

2. Drop the directory over the top of WICED-SDK-2.2.1 (replace existing files)

The build target for each of these apps (assuming the BCM943362WCD4 platform) is :

wwd.appliance-BCM943362WCD4 download run

wwd.canned_send-BCM943362WCD4 download run

wwd.ping-BCM943362WCD4 download run

wwd.scan-BCM943362WCD4 download run
0 Likes