Getting started with LBEE5PA1LD(CYW43438+STM32F412) and WICED SDK!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaSu_2377696
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are developing a WiFi, BLE, Bluetooth A2DP Capable Audio Player and Planning to choose Murata LBEE5PA1LD module for our requirement which contains Cypress CYW43438 and ST's STM32F412 Microcontroller.

One of the first major question I have related to CYW43438  since being a Broadcom Chipset, Does Cypress have a very closed/hard to reach documentation, development tools and development kits related to CYW43438  and WICED SDK which can be only accessed by paying a XXXX USD for license and then use it?

I do check the WICED Studio available online with WICED SDK, and it seems accessible easily. But I just wanted to make sure if there is any license requirement just like for the Broadcom or Qualcomm chipsets.

Is there any development kit based on CYW43438  and STM32F412 which can be used form application related to WiFi, Bluetooth A2DP Audio etc? I came across IMP Audio Kit https://developer.electricimp.com/hardware/resources/reference-designs/imp004maudiokit​ . But we are not planning to use IMP Library/API/Server and Not Sure if I will be able to erase default Code/Bootloader. But It should work. Is there any better option for development kit?

Regards,

Mahesh

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Mahesh,

The valid libraries and platform files for the Bluetooth audio example in snip folder of WICED are supported only for 43907 based chips. The audio platform files available for the Bluetooth audio example are CYW943907WAE3 and CYW943907WAE4.

So, I think it would be difficult for you to port the Bluetooth audio example as the platform files are not supported for STM32 based host processors for the audio example.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Both the Murata 1LD and 1HD support the STM32F412+Cypress 43438 (Broadcom/Avago is a different company).

I believe they can provide platform files for both that work under WICED.

WICED has sample applications within the Snip folder which support BT Audio; the applications team can confirm application specific support for A2DP Source/Sink.

The evaluation platform on the Cypress side CYW943438WCD1_EVB, but you will need to check to see if Murata has one as well. For our Eval platform, you will need to engage with your local CY sales team and ask them to sample an EVK as these cannot be purchased online.

ToIn_1742091​ can confirm.

0 Likes

I thought WICED doesn't support A2DP, does it?

Hi Mahes, Future has quite similar hardware with 1LD even though it is separated into 2 parts, wifi and MCU. You can start from this design, then if you think 1LD would be the best, you can easily switch to 1LD, I think.

Future Connectivity Solutions

Unfortunately, Murata 1LD EVK is not broadly available, but module itself is available on several distributors. https://wireless.murata.com/products/where-to-buy.html?parts=LBEE5PA1LD-005

0 Likes

ToIn_1742091

Technical Brief: WICED Studio 6.2.1

Do a search on "A2DP" within the document.

0 Likes

Update to my previous response as the Technical Brief shows HW support only.

First off, there are a couple of flavors of WICED wrt combo chips

• 4390x+2070x: On these boards/kits, A2DP sink and HFP headset mode are supported. A2DP source is not supported
  • ST+4343x: On these boards, only BLE and non-audio classic BT profiles are supported (such as SPP, etc.)

Specific to this inquiry, 43438+STM - Audio is not supported.

Sorry for the confusion.

ToIn_1742091

0 Likes

Hi Michel,

CYW43438 is also used in the Pi, Which actually supports A2DP Source and A2DP sink.

I do find some examples related to BT in the WICED Studio. Document shared by Toln "Technical Brief: WICED Studio 6.2.1" also includes A2DP Source supported for the CYW4343W. And as I read, CYW4343W & CYW43438 chips are technically same and just a different package.

So Can't I connect STM32F412+CYW43438 based hardware to my Bluetooth Headset and stream the Audio?

0 Likes

Hi Toln,

Thanks for sharing the Future Development kit. That will be good option in case we want to go with separate MCU.

But to make it smaller, we are planning to go with Murata provided we can get support

0 Likes

Hi Mahesh, I am saying that you can start your evaluation and initial development on Future Development kit since the hardware design is quite similar with 1LD, then you can design your own board using 1LD.

CYW43438 hardware is capable for A2DP, but WICED software does not support A2DP for 43438 yet. You can find examples, but they are for 43907+20707. RFCOMM is supported, so if you can implement A2DP, then you can connect 43438 with your bluetooth headset.

Hi Toln,

Thanks for your reply. Yes. We can definitely start with Future kit and then move forward to Murata module when our hardware is ready.

I see that Bluetooth Audio Example now in the Snip Folder. How much difficult it will be to port this example to work with Future Development Kit and later Murata LBEE5PA1LD module. Any idea on this? I guess I will not have to write it from scratch If I can use something from the Wiced Audio.

One other thing I want to ask you is If we use CYW4343W based Sterling-LWB module which also has STM32F412, then Is there any ready example for CYW4343W or I will need to port the example for this chipset as well?

Sorry. If I am asking to many basic questions but I need to start soon and we have short timeline so I want to make sure we are using the right thing and we can fulfill our goal.

0 Likes

Hi Mahesh, porting your code from Future Kit (Nebula Board) to Murata Type1LD is easy. They are almost the same.

I am not sure how easily you can implement your audio code using WICED. Maybe MichaelF_56​ can comment.

I couldn't find any support for Sterling-LWB on WICED SDK.

0 Likes

Hi Mahesh,

The valid libraries and platform files for the Bluetooth audio example in snip folder of WICED are supported only for 43907 based chips. The audio platform files available for the Bluetooth audio example are CYW943907WAE3 and CYW943907WAE4.

So, I think it would be difficult for you to port the Bluetooth audio example as the platform files are not supported for STM32 based host processors for the audio example.

Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

I am checking with the Murata & Local Cypress for the CYW943438WCD1_EVB and other development kit if any.

Let's see how it goes.

Regards,

Mahesh

0 Likes