Frustrating to upgrade to 5.0

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent yesterday and today trying to upgrade the SDK from 4.0 to 5.0 and it's been really frustrating. I'm still not done with the migration after 2 days.

1) Why does the IDE have to be bundled with the SDK? Installing a new IDE throws away all my previous customizations made in Eclipse, including code color, fonts, indentation rules, etc. I know I could port the new SDK back to the old IDE, but it's just painful and time-wasting. It also increases download time and disk requirements for installing

2) The new SDK breaks build (for example, there's an extra #define PLATFORM_FACTORY_RESET_TIMEOUT in wiced_waf_common.h what wasn't there before, breaking build), forcing us to update all platform files which otherwise wouldn't be necessary.

3) The Linux version of the SDK have all the line encodings in Windows-style. This is totally unacceptable. I have a bunch of patch files that modifies the SDK because it doesn't work right out of the box. The patch files won't work since in Linux, our patch files are checked out from Git with LF ending. We are constantly switching between Windows and Linux and we need to have a SDK that works equally well on all platforms.

4) I haven't been able to get the OpenOCD tool that came with the SDK 5.0 to work. It just segfaults in Eclipse and I still haven't figured out why.

I want to point out there are IDE+SDKs out there that work beautifully across updates. Android Studio for example updates SDK separately from your workspace and you don't have to mess with a lot of things. But even for starters, making sure your SDK works right out of the box should be the bare minimum.

19 Replies