Evaluation of cloud solutions supporting WICED integration?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has evaluated cloud solutions that can be used within the WICED SDK? A lot of solutions require their own hardware modules (Imp, Ayla ...) whereas some solutions provide code for existing WICED platforms to interface to their API, and even manage provisioning and OTA. A few I've been in contact with:

• Ayla - Use modules with their own firmware and a UART or SPI API from a host MCU (an STM32F303 in their e.g.)
  • goHackMe (sensors.com) - Using WiConnect - "a front-end API to WICED" and AckMe hardware
  • Arrayent - They provided some e.g. code to run in the WICED SDK - see Quick Start Guide | Broadcom WICED DevKit
  • Axeda

And then there's also the other end-point type services such as Berg Cloud, Xively, M2X, Carriots, TempoIQ etc.

Has anyone else had further experience with any of these services, or others?

1 Solution

Hi,

Wiced SDK sample app "\Apps\demo\temp_control" that demonstrates the Xively interface by updating the temperature information from Wiced evaluation board to the Xively.com.

Seyhan

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

just remember gHm and sensors.com are not the same thing. gHm is an implementation that is powered by SDC. SDC is an OEM cloud solution that can be scaled to suit your requirement and can be used with any hardware from any vendor. gHm is a product to help people try things out with ACKme solutions.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, thanks. I grouped them together as gHm is described as a free-to-use implementation of sensors.com

0 Likes

Hi,

Wiced SDK sample app "\Apps\demo\temp_control" that demonstrates the Xively interface by updating the temperature information from Wiced evaluation board to the Xively.com.

Seyhan

HuFi_1747246
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

On electric imp: Murata make an imp module now - they build and sell it directly. There's a great EVB they provide which shows off things like low power modes, audio sampling, environmental sensing, etc:

http://www.electricimp.com/docs/hardware/imp003evb/

...there's a VM run within the STM32 which allows you to run code locally. In development you can push new code, debug crashes, etc all remotely over the secure WiFi connection. In production you can deploy to millions of devices with a single click in the ops console.

The imp cloud-side can interface with almost anything; every device in the field also gets a VM that runs within the imp cloud that isn't power or memory constrained - and hence it can do things like talk to standard RESTful APIs, extract information relevant to the device, and send it down the secure channel. Some example integrations are in our public github:

reference/webservices at master · electricimp/reference · GitHub

(twilio, keen.io, firebase, pubnub, skynet, twitter, weather underground, xively etc etc)

...many of these use the streaming interfaces (eg pubnub, firebase) which gives you some really slick real-time integration opportunities. The agent can also advertise and provide a RESTful API to be talked to directly by apps or 3rd party servers.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a technical writer at Arrayent. A little more information about us:

We're a B2B company. Our customers are primarily big manufacturers who want to connect their devices to the Internet, but cannot / do not want to build an end-to-end Internet of Things infrastructure themselves. So Arrayent essentially provides embedded and cloud middleware for these big businesses.

So, in the case of Broadcom WICED, our customer would license the Arrayent Connect Agent (ACA), a high-level, abstracted C library for communicating with the Arrayent Cloud. The host application of the device doesn't worry about the nuts and bolts of connecting to the cloud. It just initializes the ACA and the ACA takes care of connecting to the cloud and sending / receiving data.

The customer then builds their own web / smartphone applications, using the Arrayent Web Service API to interact with the devices running the ACA.

You can register to try out our Broadcom WICED product here: Request a DevKit | Broadcom WICED DevKit

For basic technical questions feel free to email me: kayce.basques@arrayent.com

For sales questions: sales@arrayent.com

-- Kayce Basques

It may make sense to post this type of information to your partner protal here as well: Arrayent

If required, I can set someone up on your team as an Admin for this space.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kayce

I took a look on your website, but I saw that your solution is only working on Linux.

Am I wrong or is only working on Linux ?

Kind regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kayce

I took a look on your website, but I saw that your solution is only working on Linux.

Am I wrong or is only working on Linux ?

Kind regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, on the embedded side we typically run on anything that the major semiconductor companies run on their popular MCUs, such as free RTOS or Linux.  We will port to new chips and OSes if and when business needs warrant, since we always do extensive QA to get it to GA status.

On the cloud side, we run on Linux, but we are a SaaS company so all of that software is managed by our internal Ops Team.  We don't sell the software to let someone else run it.  Interfaces to our cloud are automatic on the device side via our embedded agent, and on the app side, there are RESTful web API interfaces.

Thanks, Joe Cowan at Arrayent

PS,  I'm taking over this community message board from Kayce, sorry for the delay!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just registered for your Dev Kit

0 Likes