Does the WICED API offer a mechanism to reduce or throttle the transmit power of the WiFi Module?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MoNo_2793136
Level 2
Level 2

The reason for asking this question is that I am looking for ways to reduce the power consumption of the reference board. I know about the power save mechanisms of the WiFi. I am looking for avenues other than the WiFi power save mechanisms. In the case that I am dealing with, the two WFi modules are in an ad hoc network configuration and are at a short distance ( 2 or 3 ft) from each other. So, the full transmit power of the WiFi is not necessary. IF the WICED API offers a mechanism to throttle the transmit power of the WiFi then that translates to power save and longer battery life.

0 Likes
1 Solution
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hello,

Greetings from Cypress! WICED APIs do not offer any mechanism to throttle the transmit power. The wl commands that can modify the transmit power are only valid with mfg_test firmware image (not for production firmware) which is intended to use during board testing and tuning purposes. For further refernce on the same, you can go through the WICED-MFG202 application note located inside the doc folder of WICED SDK. The transmit power is generally controlled by a few power amplifier gain parameters stored in NVRAM. The values of these parameters are limited by regulatory restrictions in that region. Could you please let me know why you do not want to use the power save mechansims of Wi-Fi?

Regards,

Raktim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hello,

Greetings from Cypress! WICED APIs do not offer any mechanism to throttle the transmit power. The wl commands that can modify the transmit power are only valid with mfg_test firmware image (not for production firmware) which is intended to use during board testing and tuning purposes. For further refernce on the same, you can go through the WICED-MFG202 application note located inside the doc folder of WICED SDK. The transmit power is generally controlled by a few power amplifier gain parameters stored in NVRAM. The values of these parameters are limited by regulatory restrictions in that region. Could you please let me know why you do not want to use the power save mechansims of Wi-Fi?

Regards,

Raktim.