Does 43438 BLE support communication with external host CPU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xiku_4063091
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cypress experts:

We have a host system zynq and want to enable BLE function with 43438/w chip to transfer data between zynq and 43438. From Wiced SDK document,

43438 does support wiced specific HCI interface to let external host talk to 43438, However, the Wiced SDK seems only has some built-in  BLE library for platform STMXXX

series and since we only need BLE to exchange some data between zynq and 43438.  Is there any way we can try?

Q1. we dont not want to use HCI host controller mode, since porting BT stack on our host is difficult, so does 43438 can be used as embeded mode? (per my understanding, talking with wiced hci interface)

Q2. If it is possible, is there any reference code i can use to replace the dependent BT library?  I means sample codes to implement wiced_bt_stack_init etc? I see some code under 43xxx_Wi-Fi\libraries\drivers\bluetooth\wiced_hci_bt/ can those code be used?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi xiku_4063091,

I am extremely sorry for confusion, CYW43438 cannot be used in Embedded mode. 43012 is the only combo device that supports embedded mode. All our standalone BT devices (20719, 20819, 20820 etc) supports embedded mode.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi xiku_4063091​,

1. Yes it is possible to use CYW43438 in embedded mode. You can make use of WICED HCI interface.

2. 43xxx_Wi-Fi\libraries\drivers\bluetooth\wiced_hci_bt/ is the correct location to look at, you can use them. We do not provide firmware level implementation of the BT stack, so I am afraid we can provide you definition of "wiced_bt_stack_init".

I don't understand what do you mean by "Is there any reference code i can use to replace the dependent BT library?". Please explain.

Hi Sheetalj_96,

Thank you for quick response.

By asking "Is there any reference code i can use to replace the dependent BT library?" , i do not mean to to replace BSA stack. Per my understanding(please correct me if i was wrong), if i want to use embedded mode, I just need to reference 43xxx_Wi-Fi\libraries\drivers\bluetooth\wiced_hci_bt/wiced_hci_bt_dm.c since i only see wiced_bt_stack_init/wiced_bt_stack_deinit implementation here. These two function are built in bluetooth_low_energy.xx.xx.release.a for STMxx platform. 

For embeded mode, except to refer to wiced_hci_bt_dm.c by adding the wiced_bt_stack_init/wiced_bt_stack_deinit etc, is there any other thing i need to do?

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi xiku_4063091,

I am extremely sorry for confusion, CYW43438 cannot be used in Embedded mode. 43012 is the only combo device that supports embedded mode. All our standalone BT devices (20719, 20819, 20820 etc) supports embedded mode.

Hi SheetalJ_96,

Thanks for your clairfication.

For 43012 in Embedded mode,  after hw correctly is setup,  in addition to downloading BT FW,send wiced hci commands,receive events ,what else we need to do? Since we only want to do data exchange(not full BT profile), is there any reference code

i can use to implement such usage? I still do not find the code how to use wiced hci cmd to send and get the data from 43012, specially, there is no such reference code of wiced_bt_stack_init implementation i can use. 

Thnak your patience for my question!

Regards,

0 Likes