CYW43907 as network gateway to companion MCU / MPU?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WiCa_4496921
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I understand CYW43907 is perhaps not quite designed to act as a "network gateway" for another MCU/MPU and I am keen to explore this Use Case. I am essentially looking to share the WiFi network from the CYW43907 to an external system, pretty much as a NAT gateway. Can this be achieved either via USB ECM acting as a WiFi dongle essentially, ethernet RMII (direct MAC to MAC without a PHY) or as a SDIO slave? I am excluding UART here with something like SLIP as I am looking for >= 10Mbps speeds.

I did find a past thread alluding that this functionality was under consideration, but I'd like to understand if this is something that is being worked on and is/will be available?

Alternatively, does Cypress have any other Wireless MCUs (not standalone radio only) that can support this Use Case at present?

Thanks!

Will.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

We do not have example on CYW43907 as network gateway. However, it is possible to bring up ethernet and wifi interface simultaneously and you can explore if this could help in developing a network gateway. Please refer to this discussion Re: Any example that test WiFi and Ethernet running simultaneously on CYW954907 ?  where there are references to network interface in CYW43907.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

We do not have example on CYW43907 as network gateway. However, it is possible to bring up ethernet and wifi interface simultaneously and you can explore if this could help in developing a network gateway. Please refer to this discussion Re: Any example that test WiFi and Ethernet running simultaneously on CYW954907 ?  where there are references to network interface in CYW43907.

Thanks for that,

Do you have any plans of supporting USB over ethernet please, specifically as Communications Device Class (CDC)?

Regards,
Will.

0 Likes

There are currently no plans to support USB ECM but there are header files related to ECM in the USB driver directory. SDIO slave will not be supported as mentioned in the datasheet.