After replacing EEPROM of USB IC driver on EDK board I can't debug with WICED STUDIO

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LuisLop
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello guys!

I have the board CYW954907AEVAL1F and I had an electrical accident the last week. It seems that all was OK but the USB IC (FT2232H) was not. My PC didn't recognize the usual COM port and I was unable to use it for download or debug via WICED STUDIO. After several tests, I realised that the EEPROM associated to FT2232H was broken.

I have replaced it with a new one and the same part  number and now the board is recognized on PC, but there are now two COM PORTS and I can't use WICED Studio to download nor Debug any program.

I have downloaded the FT Prog software from FTDI and, after studying this chip, it could be used as JTAG bridge, but after some test, I can't use the board with Wiced Studio for debugging.

Please, could any one tell me how I can reprogram the FT2232H chip implemented on CYW954907AEVAL1F to use with WICED Studio?

Many thanks in advance!

BR, 

Luis Lopez

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello, 

I've just fix my problem!

If you are interested, I follow the following steps:

1. After replace the eeprom, I have programmed the FTDI chip with with its software FT_PROG with the next configuration:
    1. I've maintained the VID (0x0403) and PID (0x6010) of the CHIP.  
    2. Port A: D2XX Driver and 245 FIFO
    3. Port B: VCom Driver and RS232UART.
  2. I've downloaded and used the libusbK-dev-kit to change the driver of PortB to libusbK.
  3. After that, on path ..\WICED-Studio-6.6\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\OpenOCD, I have changed on the file CYW9WCD1EVAL1.cfg the values of ftdi_vid_pid
    1. The older value:
      1.  ftdi_vid_pid 0x0a5c 0x43fa 0x04b4 0xf900
    2. The new value:
      1. ftdi_vid_pid 0x0403 0x6010 0x0403 0x6010

And after those steps, now I can program and debug the CYW954907AEVAL1F with WICED STUDIO.

BR,

Luis Lopez

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you provide the snapshots of the Device Manager when you connect and disconnect the board?

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes

Thank you, AditiB_81.

I have attached three pics:

1. The first one shows the device manager without the board connected to PC.
  2. The second one shows the two COM ports (3 & 4) after connection.
  3. And the last one show how the board is running properly: it connect's to my wlan and then subscribes to a MQTT broker. The COM 4 is the used as console UART.

Now, I have the EEPROM of the FT2232H blank, because I don't get success setting different configuration via FT_PROG.

I hope than you can help me, AditiB_81. 🙂

0 Likes
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

I'm a bit confused here. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As per your first post, you figured out that the EEPROM of your board is broken and you replaced it with a new one. You didn't replaced anything else on your board, right? You said that you're not able to download or debug the board via WICED, but in the last post you've attached a snapshot of board running properly and subscribing to the MQTT broker. Is the board working fine? If yes, then what else is not working?

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes

Hi, 

Sorry if I am confusing 😞

The board CYW954907AEVAL1F was programmed with a program that consists in use the wifi connection to connect to mqtt broker; but unfortunately, I have an electrical accident which did break the EEPROM associated to FT2232H IC.

With the eeprom broken, the USB wasn't recognized by PC and I did not able to use the board because I didn't be able to use its console via hyperterminal. After replacing the eeprom, now I have two COM ports and I can see the old program running well as you can saw on the hyperterminal pic.

The problem is that I can't download nor debug any program from Wiced Studio to the board. I think that I must program the FTDI IC to use as JTAG bridge as it was programmed before.

Also, in device manager, I see in hidden devices the "WICED USB JTAG PORT" which uses the driver of LIBUSBK. So i figure that it is a configuration question, so how can I recover  (configure) the ftdi ic to use as JTAG bridge with Wiced Studio.

I hope I have cleared your doubts, AditiB.

Many thanks!

PS: I have attached the image of the IC part that I replace on the bottom of the board.

0 Likes

Hello, 

I've just fix my problem!

If you are interested, I follow the following steps:

1. After replace the eeprom, I have programmed the FTDI chip with with its software FT_PROG with the next configuration:
    1. I've maintained the VID (0x0403) and PID (0x6010) of the CHIP.  
    2. Port A: D2XX Driver and 245 FIFO
    3. Port B: VCom Driver and RS232UART.
  2. I've downloaded and used the libusbK-dev-kit to change the driver of PortB to libusbK.
  3. After that, on path ..\WICED-Studio-6.6\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\OpenOCD, I have changed on the file CYW9WCD1EVAL1.cfg the values of ftdi_vid_pid
    1. The older value:
      1.  ftdi_vid_pid 0x0a5c 0x43fa 0x04b4 0xf900
    2. The new value:
      1. ftdi_vid_pid 0x0403 0x6010 0x0403 0x6010

And after those steps, now I can program and debug the CYW954907AEVAL1F with WICED STUDIO.

BR,

Luis Lopez

0 Likes