cypress-fmac-v5.4.18-2021_0527 does not apply cleanly to a newer Linux kernel v5.4.x

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ArturoB
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins 5 likes given 10 replies posted

Hi all,

We are working on integrating the Wi-Fi & Bluetooth driver for Linux in our platform. For that we are using the reference software package "Infineon-cypress-fmac-v5.4.18-2021_0527.zip-Software-v01_00-EN.zip" , however we are having several issues on that process. This software package is based on a kernel version v5.4.18, however the patch series doesn't apply cleanly on a more recent kernel version from the base branch v5.4.X (In our case we are working with v5.4.84 ). Some patches were uploaded to upstream with a different content than the original patch provided in this software package and then now we are having many conflicts applying the patches from this software package in a most recent Linux kernel v5.4.X

Is there any software package based on a most recent Linux kernel version v5.4?

Thanks in advance,

Arturo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Arturo, thank you for getting back to us, 

I see that there are 2 possible ways, 
1) You could use the backports package from the "cypress-fmac-v5.10.9-2021_1020" release, in the backport package the patches are already patched to the backport driver, you could just compile the driver to generate the ko file for the target linux and load the .ko files
Note:- For building the KO files please refer to the "Build the cypress driver/backports modules" section of the README file.

2)Under the section of  "Using Linux Stable v5.10.9" of the readme file we see that the patches are for a specific kernel version, if you are using v5.10.9 Linux snapshot you could directly apply these patches. 

Since your design uses kernel v5.4.84, i would suggest Option 1. 

Regards

Vivek

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vivek_gunapati
250 replies posted 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

@ArturoB , The driver package cypress-fmac-v5.4.18  supports kernel version that is v5.4.18 and less, for the greater kernel versions you can use the latest cypress FMAC driver available in the link ->  https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

Hope this helps, Regards, vivek

0 Likes

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I also tried it, however we have similar issues, because there are several changes in v5.10.9 that was not backported to v5.4.X and then the patch series don't apply cleanly, so more or less it is the same painful process ( There are 100 patches in Infineon-cypress-fmac-v5.10.9-2021_1020 against the 149 patches in Infineon-cypress-fmac-v5.4.18-2021_0527 software package )

Thanks in advance,

Arturo.

0 Likes

Hi Arturo, thank you for getting back to us, 

I see that there are 2 possible ways, 
1) You could use the backports package from the "cypress-fmac-v5.10.9-2021_1020" release, in the backport package the patches are already patched to the backport driver, you could just compile the driver to generate the ko file for the target linux and load the .ko files
Note:- For building the KO files please refer to the "Build the cypress driver/backports modules" section of the README file.

2)Under the section of  "Using Linux Stable v5.10.9" of the readme file we see that the patches are for a specific kernel version, if you are using v5.10.9 Linux snapshot you could directly apply these patches. 

Since your design uses kernel v5.4.84, i would suggest Option 1. 

Regards

Vivek

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give to the patch series a second chance and if not I'll use the backports package.

Thanks for your support,

Arturo.

0 Likes