WiFI SAR TEST: wl nrate -m 7 -s 0. Return: 'Not in Range'

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BeCa_4374986
Level 2
Level 2
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello.

I am using WL tool for preparing WiFi Software Test for SAR.

Device is CYW43340 / BCM43340.

We have wl tool compatible with our device and Firmware Test obtained from Cypress:

$ wl ver

6/3/2018 build 0

wl0: May  2 2019 22:44:42 version 6.10.190.77 (r714265 WLTEST) FWID 01-f6

We have based our Software on Scripts that we found out at Wiced Studio 6.4.0 : '/43xxx_Wi-Fi/libraries/test/wl_tool/scripts/'

With this we have managed to prepare Test For:

• RxCarrier
  • TxCarrier.
  • Tx802.11a/b/g.
  • Rx802.11

Now we are preparing Tx802.11n Test for HT20 and HT40 and it is the first time that we need to use the MCS index.

We have tried to use the Script avaible in the Wiced for n Standard but command wl nrate is returning error.

This is the script execution until the error:

$ wl down

$ wl country ALL

$ wl band b

$ wl chanspec -c 11 -b 2 -w 20 -s 0

Chanspec set to 0x100b

$ wl mpc 0

$ wl ampdu 1

$ wl bi 65000

$ wl frameburst 1

$ wl rateset 11b

$ wl rateset   

[ 11(b) ]

MCS SET : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

$ wl up

$ wl txant 0

$ wl antdiv 0

$ wl nrate -m 7 -s 0

wl: Not In Range

$ wl nrate

legacy rate 1 Mbps stf mode 0 auto

wl nrate -m 2 -s 0

$ wl nrate

legacy rate 1 Mbps stf mode 0 auto

$ wl nrate -m 11 -s 0

$ wl nrate

legacy rate 5.5 Mbps stf mode 0 auto

$ wl nrate -m 4 -s 0

$ wl nrate

legacy rate 2 Mbps stf mode 0 auto

$ wl nrate -m 5 -s 0

wl: Not In Range

I see responses to the command that I did not expect.

The MCS index looks like not applied properly.

Examples values not expected:

• wl nrate -m 4 -s 0 -> MCS index 4 the command is executed, device becomes to transmit 2 Mbps while in MCS index table I see that for this configuration it should be 39 Mbps.
  • wl nrate -m 2 -s 0 -> MCS index 2 the command is executed, device becomes to transmit 1 Mbps while in MCS index table I see that for this configuration it should be 19,50 Mbps.

Examples return error, while should be valid configuration:

• wl nrate -m 5 -s 0 -> wl: Not In Range
  • wl nrate -m 7 -s 0 -> wl: Not In Range
  • wl nrate -m 5 -s 0 -> wl: Not In Range

I don't manage to understand where the problem is coming from.

Could you help me please.

0 Likes
9 Replies
BeCa_4374986
Level 2
Level 2

This morning I have try a different sequence of commands for testing 802.11n HT20 but I have another command that is behaving unexpectedly. This is the sequence I have tried:

$ wl down

$ wl mpc 0

$ wl phy_watchdog 0

$ wl country ALL

$ wl band b

$ wl 2g_rate -h 1 -b 20

cmd 2g_rate not supported in this version of the driver, ioctl version 1.

2g_rate Force a fixed rate for data frames in the 2.4G band:

Either "auto", or a simple CCK/DSSS/OFDM rate value:

1 2 5.5 11 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

Or options to specify legacy, HT, or VHT rate:

-r R, --rate=R        : legacy rate (CCK, DSSS, OFDM)

-h M, --ht=M          : HT MCS index [0-23]

-v M[xS], --vht=M[xS] : VHT MCS index M [0-9],

: and optionally Nss S [1-8], eg. 5x2 is MCS=5, Nss=2

-c cM[sS]            : VHT (c notation) MCS index M [0-9],

: and optionally Nss S [1-8], eg. c5s2 is MCS=5, Nss=2

-s S, --ss=S          : VHT Nss [1-8], number of spatial streams, default 1.

: Only used with -v/--vht when MxS format is not used

-x T, --exp=T        : Tx Expansion, number of tx chains (NTx) beyond the minimum

: required for the space-time-streams, exp = NTx - Nsts

--stbc                : Use STBC expansion, otherwise no STBC

-l, --ldpc            : Use LDPC encoding, otherwise no LDPC

-g, --sgi            : SGI, Short Guard Interval, otherwise standard GI

-b, --bandwidth      : transmit bandwidth MHz; 2.5, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 160

I don't know if this problem is related with the original issue with command 'wl nrate -m 7 -s 0'... The main point is to resolve how I can use command nrate or alternative command to manage MCS index for test 802.11n HT20 and HT40.

* NOTE: This is the MCS Index Table that I am using for nrate -m myIndex -s 0. But is not posible to insert index as suppose in the command.

MSC_Index_Table.jpg

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

We have tested the wl nrate command in WICED 6.4 for CYW43340 (Azurewave module) and it worked correctly for all values of -m from 0 to 7. The firmware version used for testing was:

6.10 RC0.0

wl0: May  2 2019 20:17:56 version 6.49.29 (r714254 WLTEST) FWID 01-f6

Are you using WICED or Linux for testing CYW43340? Can you let us know the module partner for CYW43340?

0 Likes

Our Module partner is Murata 1BW.

We don't use WICED. We use Linux for preparing SAR test.

Firmware and wl tool has been provided from your colleagues of Cypress and until now , with other commands, was letting us to prepare the scripts for testing 802.11a/b/g.

Problems has begun with command specifics for MCS Index tablet for testing IEEE 802.11n.

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes

Please contact Murata to obtain the firmware, nvram and wl tool for type 1BW. Retest the wl commands and let us know if you still face the issue.

0 Likes
BeCa_4374986
Level 2
Level 2

Hello GauravS_31​.

I contacted Murata for this issue more than 1 month ago for WL tool and Firmware (before contacting to Cypress).

After several emails they referred us that Cypress should have the WL Tool compatible with our device and they redirected us to Cypress for obtaining WL Tool and Firmware.

We obtained the WL Tool and Firmware from your colleague MuraliR_36​ in this Discussion: CYW43340: FCC Wi-Fi test. wl tool. Return 'wl: Unsupported'.

With this Firmware and WL Tool we have managed to test IEE802.11a/b/g with apparently good results.

Now for IEE802.11n we only can try [0-4] MCS index (up  to 90 Mbps), while in the datasheet indicate that we could reach [0-7] MCS index (up to 150 Mbps ).

To contact to Murata for this issue could be a way to come back to ask to Cypress again finally. We we have already done this way.

Should we need nvram compatible with the already obtained from Cypress Firmware and WL tool?

Any more info or details that I could add to let you help us please let me know.

Thanks for your support.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Please test with the attached wl tool and let us know if you still face the issue.

0 Likes

Hello GauravS_31​.

Thanks for this wl tool.

I have tried the 8201.11n test script with this new 'wl tool'. The same problems appears:

• If I try to execute command: $ wl 2g_rate , it launches the same error:

pastedImage_0.png

If I try to execute the script extracted from Wiced Studio for WiFi Test. it still cannot uses MCS index:

pastedImage_4.png

Is it maybe needed a nvram or driver compatible with this 'wl tool' and our FW Test? Any other solution?

This is our FW Test:

pastedImage_10.png

It has been still not possible to try standard 80211n.

Any help about it will be useful , we are locked out in this issue  and it is important for certification of the product.

Thanks for your support.

0 Likes

I had tested the same firmware in the WICED setup with CYW43340 and wl nrate worked correctly from MCS0 to MCS7. Also the same wl tool when compiled and tested in 64-bit environment worked correctly for wl nrate. However, the wl tool was actually for FMAC May 2019 release https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-17441. Regarding nvram, it should be obtained from module partner. For instance, Murata has a git page on the nvram files https://github.com/murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-nvram. However, please check with Murata if there are any nvram changes based on the latest FMAC release. Before cross compiling the FMAC driver, please check if changing the nvram solves the issue.

I have tried with the origilan nvam and as well with this Murata's nvram that you have referred me and the problem is not solved.

The same errors return for 'nrate' and '2g_rate':

• $ wl nrate -m 5 -s 0
    • wl: Not In Range
  • $ wl nrate -m 7 -s 0
    • wl: Not In Range
  • $ wl 2g_rate
    • cmd 2g_rate not supported in this version of driver, ioctl version 1

Our enviroment is 32 bits (intel-32 bits), wl tool that your colleague previously let me get looks like working well for this enviroment.

I am going to try changing the driver fo FMAC then and check again the commands.

0 Likes