Unable to start BT chip CYBT-333047-02 with Bluez over HCI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vvorona
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I'm trying to use CYBT-333047-02 with bluez stack in linux. The module is connected to Host PC over UART interface.
The hciattach and configuration runs smooth: the interface up and running, the configuration applied without errors.

hciattach /dev/ttyUSB0 any 115200 flow

hciconfig hci0 up
hciconfig hci0 piscan

hciconfig hci0 name myBtDevice
hciconfig hci0 class 0x011f00
hciconfig hci0 noauth

But I don't see my BT device in the air. Moreover, during the scan on Host PC I don't see any other BT devices.

I have also tried to execute the same HCI commands via CyBluetool without any success.
Tried to send HCI_Reset before the configuration, tried to send vendor specific command Enable_Radio, tried to configure new BD Address - nothing helps to see the devices in the air.

I have followed the recommendations from hthis topic https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Smart-Bluetooth/HCI-Commands-to-enable-bluetooth/m-p/71433 but again without any success.

From the other hand, I have tried to use the TX carrier test mode (Set_TX_Carrier_Frequency_ARM) and was able to see the carrier on my spectrum analyzer.
It looks like the radio doesn't work during the normal operation. But it works in general (the TX test works well).

Am I forgot something? Should I sent any extra HCI commands, maybe vendor specific ones?

Thanks in advance,
Valeriy

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

"I have also tried to execute the same HCI commands via CyBluetool without any success."

Lets first check the device with cybluetool. Could you please tell us what commands are you using ? Could you please share us the logs?

Erase your application and send below commands from cybluetool. Check what you see in the log.

• Reset
  • LE_Set_Scan_Parameters 
  • LE_Set_Scan_Enable

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

"I have also tried to execute the same HCI commands via CyBluetool without any success."

Lets first check the device with cybluetool. Could you please tell us what commands are you using ? Could you please share us the logs?

Erase your application and send below commands from cybluetool. Check what you see in the log.

• Reset
  • LE_Set_Scan_Parameters 
  • LE_Set_Scan_Enable

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hello Dheeraj,

You recommend to erase the application.

Will it be enough if we perform factory reset using "7.5.3 Performing a Recovery Procedure and (Re-)Programming Your Module" from the document "Getting Started with EZ-BT WICED Modules" (AN223400) and don't load any application at all at "Step 6"? Will HCI UART mode continue working? 

If not, can you tell what is the easiest method to erase the application?

0 Likes
Vyacheslav
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

Hello again,

After a few days of reading documentation we were not able to understand how to erase the application but we were able to build and load LE Hello Sensor sample using latest version of Modus Toolbox after we found this

https://community.cypress.com/t5/Resource-Library/Run-CYW20706-in-HCI-Mode/ta-p/246397

With this FW inquiry works.

For some reason sometimes HCI starts returning Command Disallowed to all commands until reset. This is very strange.

It is very strange. Our next plan is to investigate https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Studio-Bluetooth/About-the-WICED-HCI-protocol/m-p/57884 specifically if we properly set SPI_MOSI and HCI_CTS at power on.

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

Whatever method you followed by referring the blog is also good enough. The aim is to get the latest patches for the chip controller. Instead of downloading the entire hello sensor, you can try downloading an empty application to the chip to get rid of  application specific configurations.

Add below lines in the source and download the app and put the device into HCI mode.

#include "sparcommon.h"
APPLICATION_START() {  }

https://community.cypress.com/t5/ModusToolbox-Blog/How-to-download-general-ROM-patch-in-BTSDK-platfo...

May i know what are commands you tried and when are you getting the  Command Disallowed error code? Could you please share us the logs (Cybluetool)?

Thanks,

-Dheeraj.P.K

0 Likes
vvorona
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello Dheeraj,

Thak you for your support.

The soulution which worked for us was to upload an almost "empty" application. After this the chip start support the complete HCI mode.

BTW, why don't you have already compiled "empty" application stored somewhere on your site for downloading? Sometime, this is not convinient to build this by yourself.

Best regards,

Valera

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41

HI,

The empty application is downloading to get the latest/updated FW (ROM) patches. We can use the 1st method (mentioned in the blog) if we don't want to setup the build system in our machine.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj.P.K

0 Likes