Is each 1DX module programmed with a unique MAC address?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShSt_3500156
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am using the Murata 1DX Wi-Fi/BT module on a board designed by one of my co-workers. I am running Linux on an NXP i.MX6ULL processor and using the Yocto layer provided by Murata for setting up the device driver and tools for Wi-Fi. I have noticed that each module shows a different MAC address when I set up the wlan0 network interface. For example 44:91:60:xx:xx:xx, where xx:xx:xx is unique for each module. Is the MAC address stored in the OTP memory of the BCM4343W? Can somebody tell me how the MAC address is assigned when using the Linux FMAC driver?

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks. I found the firmware for my chip and was able to do the otpdump. And I was able to confirm that the MAC address that is set is present in the OTP area.

So to summarize this thread, each 1DX module is programmed with a unique MAC address, and that address is stored in the OTP memory of the 4343W. Thanks everyone for you help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hello:

I think from what I know there has three ways to realize the mac :

1. create one wifi_mac.txt file in system,   DHD driver will get the mac from this file firstly.

2. OTP area

3. NVRAM .

for this thread i think you need a mfg firmware to dump OTP area to check the mac address if it matched your findings .

0 Likes

Hi Zhez,

What program do I need to use to read the OTP area from the Linux command line? I have tried using the "wl" tool, which has an "otpdump" command, but the response I get is "wl: error -23".

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Likes

hello:

you need a MFG firmware to replace the normal one, then you can input the command.

0 Likes

Thanks Zhez, I will try it out. But first I need to get the manufacturing test firmware.

0 Likes

Hello:

please try to install one wiced studio, there have different mfg FWs for different chips.

and you can have a  start with wiced also.

0 Likes

Thanks. I found the firmware for my chip and was able to do the otpdump. And I was able to confirm that the MAC address that is set is present in the OTP area.

So to summarize this thread, each 1DX module is programmed with a unique MAC address, and that address is stored in the OTP memory of the 4343W. Thanks everyone for you help.

0 Likes
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

and for this question:

Can somebody tell me how the MAC address is assigned when using the Linux FMAC driver?

I have checked some wifi mac in internet , but didn't find very specific defines for every bytes on the address.

I think module maker can give the explanations,  they should apply for the mac and write it into every module they produced.

and make sure every address is unique.

Murata module has unique MAC address, so it must be something Cypress need to fix on FMAC driver, I guess.

0 Likes

Hi Inoue,

Can you confirm that every Murata 1DX module has a unique MAC address? I could not find anything in the documentation that explained this. If each module has a unique address, then our client that is selling the system will not need to apply and pay for their own MAC address range.

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Likes

Hi Shawn, yes it does.