CYW43907AEVAL1F Stopped Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0/1 on Linux (FYI)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChMa_3922746
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

FYI:  Linux is a joy . For those who might have issues with the CYW43907AEVAL1F being recognized as two ttyUSB ports, this might be helpful.

Background:  Things were working fine with my Linux Mint 19 PC, though there is a console fonts issue (another story not yet resolved).

I reinstalled Linux Mint 19 on my PC.  After the reinstall, the FTDI FT2232H USB chip was not visible on /dev/ttyUSB0/1 anymore.  I entered "dmesg" to see that "Broadcom" was recognized, but no serial ports.

I did find a workaround as follows (with help from https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2259068 😞

1.  Enter:

sudo modprobe ftdi_sio idVendor=0x0a5c idProduct=0x43fa

(When I plug in the board, I see via the command "dmesg": 

New USB device found, idVendor=0a5c, idProduct=43fa, bcdDevice= 7.00)

2.  Enter (per the recommended workaround, above):

sudo chmod 666 /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

3.  Use a text editor to edit a new file:

/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

Add only these two numbers to the file (i.e., the idVendor and idProduct):

0x0a5c 0x43fa

Then save it.

4.  Enter (if not already done, I think this needs to be done only once):

sudo usermod -a -G dialout your_user_name

5. Plug in the board, and verify:

dmesg | grep tty

You should see something like:

[   45.511352] usb 2-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

[   45.511672] usb 2-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Now, I need to do this after each reboot since the file "new_id" does not appear to be saved.

I use the serial program "moserial" to connect to ttyUSB1, and I can see serial activity now.

I might need to unplug/plug in the board if download fails.

Whew.

I hope this helps someone out there.

0 Replies