CYW43455 not allowing WPA3 SAE connection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Hrithik
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted First solution authored

Hi Infineon Team,

We are using CYW43455 chip for WiFi in iMX8MM board working on Android 11 OS. We have completed the bringup for WiFi but it is not supporting WPA3 connections.

When we try to connect wifi with iphone hotspot, it doesnt connect. When we checked the logs, we found the following:

wpa_supplicant: wlan0: WPA: Failed to select authenticated key management type
wpa_supplicant: wlan0: WPA: Failed to set WPA key management and encryption suites

Does CYW43455 support WPA3 SAE? I couldnt find WPA3 support in the datasheet.

If it supports, could you please guide us in enabling the WPA3 profile in Android 11 OS for this IC?

Thanks,

Hrithik

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi  @Vivek_gunapati ,

Ok got it ..!

We can continue discussion there..

Thanks

Divyesh.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Vivek_gunapati
250 replies posted 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Hi @Hrithik , To help us understand the setup better, Could you please let us know the following details below & the latest firmware and driver in the following link -> https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2... supports WPA3 R1 & R3

1. The version of driver/firmware used?
  2. please share us the wpa_supplicant.conf file used
  3. Was all the patch files in the folder "cypress-hostap_2_9-1-2022_0511.tar.gz" added to the wpa_supplicant?

Regards
Vivek.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Hrithik
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

1. Since we are using Android inline driver - bcm4329-fmac.
Firmware- version: 7.45.184 (r712131 CY) FWID 01-b363c0a0.
Please find the attached firmware files of WiFi.

2. please find the attached wpa_supplicant

3. We have not followed this "cypress-hostap_2_9-1-2022_0511.tar.gz" as we strictly followed the available Android driver files as mentioned.
WiFi is perfectly working as expected. The only problem is WPA3 support.

My doubt of WPA3 support in CYW43455 still persists because the datasheet doesn't show its support.
Please find the image below i took from datasheet of CYW43455:

Hrithik_0-1660111159363.png

Could you please clarify this?

Thanks,
Hrithik

0 Likes

Hi @Hrithik , The firmware 7.45.184, is an older firmware that does not support WPA3 in it.   And WPA3 is supported on the latest Firmware release 7.45.249.  of the link  shared above, 

Currently, the android packages are supported for the wireless modules 54591/43012 in the following link -> https://community.infineon.com/t5/Resource-Library/Infineon-Android-Release-2021-12-16/ta-p/343912

For an android release package for 43455 you could contact Infineon sales and marketing.

Regards
VIvek.

0 Likes
Hrithik
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

Thanks for the inputs. We pushed the latest firmwares provided in the above link into our device.
But after that, our wifi stops working. This is probably due to incompatible firmwares.

Could you please provide latest firmware for 43455 chip or maybe let me know where I can ask for it as I am not familiar with Infineon sales and marketing?

Thanks,
Hrithik

0 Likes

Hi @Vivek_gunapati 

I also tried firmware from the link you shared: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

This also doesn't support WPA3 apparently.
Latest Firmware: BCM4345/6 wl0: Apr 1 2022 00:35:06 version 7.45.249 (d826021 CY) FWID 01-b52c64b

Kindly let us know what else I can try ?

Thanks,
Hrithik

0 Likes

Hi @Hrithik , the firmware also require patching of wpa_supplicant suggested in the above  driver link. could you please patch and try ?

Regards
Vivek.

0 Likes
Hrithik
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

You mean from  https://community.infineon.com/t5/Resource-Library/Infineon-Android-Release-2021-12-16/ta-p/343912

Hrithik_0-1660133110860.png

or from https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2... ?

The 2nd one doesnt have wpa_supplicant.conf but only list of patches which probably wont get apply in our android directory.

Thanks,
Hrithik

0 Likes

Hi @Hrithik , Currently the only way to get the latest firmware and the driver that supports WPA SAE for android with 43455 is to patch the cypress-patch-v5.10.9-2022_0511.tar.gz & cypress-hostap_2_9-1-2022_0511.tar.gz(Current cypress FMAC files) to the android, the patch would fail if applied directly,   requires manual patching. 

Regards
Vivek.

0 Likes

Hi @Vivek_gunapati ,

We have tried to apply 23 patches from cypress-hostap_2_9-1-2022_0511.tar.gz. But after manually applying all the patches, We are facing compile time error. Could you please specify the relevant patches for WPA3 support.

please find below the latest patch ( on top) from our repository:

divyeshmarne_0-1661146319603.png

Please support here.. This is an urgent requirement 

Thanks

DIvyesh.

0 Likes

Hi @divyeshmarne  we do not have the setup to run and fix the compile errors.

One of the differences between the older firmware and the newer firmware is the supplicant. The older firmware uses in driver supplicant running in the 43455 chip i.e. all the handshaking is taken care of by the firmware itself and the new firmware uses an external supplicant i.e. the handshaking process is offloaded to the supplicant running on the host.

So along with WPA3 files, external supplicant files also needed to be patched.

Since a mycase is created for the same issue can we close this post and continue the discussion on the mycase?

Regards
Vivek.

0 Likes

Hi  @Vivek_gunapati ,

Ok got it ..!

We can continue discussion there..

Thanks

Divyesh.

0 Likes