BCM4354 Wifi Compliance testing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AkSe_4720981
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

I'm using BCM4354 wifi module in our product. For FCC compliance testing I need to put the module in continuous transmission in the following modes - 802.11b, g, n(20MHz), n(40MHz) and ac. By referring the Cypress Wi-Fi CLM Regulatory Manual.pdf I was able to do the same. However, I have few concerns in the testing. Kindly, help me in resolving the below 2 issues.

1. What is the transmission power to be set for each mode in the compliance testing (wl txpwr1 -o XX)? I have used 19 for all the modes given in an example in the document. Is this value correct?
  2. 802.11n (40MHz) mode works in 5GHz band and not in 2.4 GHz band. I used below command and I'm getting following error for that,

$ wl chanspec -c 1 b 2 -w 40 -s 1             -> channel-1, operating band-2.4GHz, bandwidth - 40MHz

wl:error -20

Is this module limitation?

Anticipating your quick response.

Regards,

Akash Sekhar

0 Likes
1 Solution
YashM
First question asked 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hi

Unfortunately, "wl txant" doesn't work with MIMO devices.

Instead, you can use wl txchain <value> (1 = chain 0, 2 = chain 1, 3 = chain 0 and 1).

Also, you can see the wl command sequence in Cypress's Regulatory manual section 4.2.4.5.

Let me know whether this solves your problem or not.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

1. The transmission power to be set depends on what region that you are planning to ship to and the regulatory restrictions set in that region.
2. Could you post the wl clmver output and the country code to check if it is enabled or not? Ideally it should be enabled. This is for us to confirm.

0 Likes

Hi @Murali_R,

I believe the country code must be set to ALL while performing the compliance testing as per the Cypress Wifi Regulatory guide. But, if I set the country as ALL, I'm getting an error as shown below,

$ wl country ALL
wl: error -2

Since our product is being deployed in the US, I'm using wl country US/0 command to set the country code.

This is the output I got for wl clmver.

API: 12.2
Data: Cypress.CYW4354
Compiler: 1.29.15
ClmImport: 1.36.3
Customization: v1 200611
Creation: 2020-06-11 09:54:15

Regards,
Akash Sekhar

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

The country code "all" is missing in the firmware which you are using. We are in the process to fix this issue. In the meantime, you can use the following release: Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2020-04-02

Let me know if you have any concerns.

Regards

0 Likes

Hi @YashM ,

Thanks for the new firmware release. With the new clm_blob I was able to set the country code to ALL and 802.11n40 in 2.4GHz band also started working.

But I'm not able to select the output antenna when testing 5GHz in mimo mode for 802.11n and ac standards. I'm getting the below error while running the txant command with the wl tool to select the antenna.

$ wl txant 1
wl: error -23

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Could you please let me know whether your system has Antenna 0 and/or Antenna 1?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi @YashM ,

Yes, our system has two antennas - Antenna 0 and Antenna1.

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Unfortunately, "wl txant" doesn't work with MIMO devices.

Instead, you can use wl txchain <value> (1 = chain 0, 2 = chain 1, 3 = chain 0 and 1).

Also, you can see the wl command sequence in Cypress's Regulatory manual section 4.2.4.5.

Let me know whether this solves your problem or not.

Regards

0 Likes
AkSe_4720981
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi @YashM ,

While configured in MIMO mode, we were able to receive power in only one antenna ( +17DB ) in another antenna it was -8DB, can you please share us the command to achieve full power in the both the antenna ports when configured in MIMO mode?

Regards
0 Likes
YashM

Hi @AkSe_4720981 

Please provide me with the following information:

1. Country code used

2. Channel and band used

3. Curpower output of that particular channel and country

Regards

0 Likes