Anyone working on IWD AP mode for fmac driver?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
keithspg
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First reply posted First question asked

I have been using iwd for wifi connections on  my RPis (Zero/3/4). These all use the brcmfmac/cyfmac 43430/45455 chip. They work reasonably well in station mode with iwd. The current RPi kernel uses an old driver, though I have built and installed the latest driver from 20200925 and also the firmware in the same package. The main advantage of iwd over wpa_supplicant is that the devices connect almost immediately. Very fast.

I cannot get AP mode to work at all with iwd. hostapd works fine. Can we get assistance getting the fmac driver/firmware updated so that it will work with IWD in ap mode?

from the IWD group, this is one difference noted:

The issue is that iwd uses NL80211_CMD_REGISTER_FRAME to be notified of incoming management frames,
and this is what kicks off the 4-Way Handshake in ap.c. But brcmfmac does not support this (except in P2P mode?).

Appreciate any comments and help with this.

Keith

0 Likes
1 Solution
keithspg
Level 1
Level 1

The IWD development group recently modified the iwd code to work with the brcmfmac driver. I do not know the specific changes, but now it does work with iwd. It is the latest git fixes that make it work.

Basically anything after will connect and seems to work:

065f19b4795665bf3cb0ff6ab8b2ceb4d3041678

So, conforming to iwd was not necessary as iwd adapted to brcmfmac.

How about adding 4 way SAE handshake for wpa3 mode? That still does not work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
keithspg
Level 1
Level 1

Just looking at this some more. The intel card in one laptop connects and I logged it with iwmon. The other laptop with the brcmsmac also connects. It is the fmac driver which does not allow a connection. I am not well versed in this, but what I see is that with either the intel card or the smac, the logs show:

"Event: New Station (0x13) len 164" followed by a number of "Event: Frame" and "Request:Frame" and "Response: Frame" when it connects with either of the other 2 cards. With the fmac driver, though, I get the scan followed by nothing even though I put in the password on the other device I am trying to connect with. I get "Event: New Station" and it 'sees' the other computer but this is followed immediately with:

> Event: Del Station (0x14) len 32 1611690388.946183
Interface Index: 3 (0x00000003)
MAC Address 60:F2:62:AE:70:FE
Generation: 0 (0x00000000)
Station Info: len 0

I think that is what is meant by the 'CMD_REGISTER_FRAME' not being supported. Can this be added to the fmac driver so that the fmac works like the smac?

0 Likes
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

What is the iwd command set used for bringing up AP interface?

0 Likes
keithspg
Level 1
Level 1

The IWD development group recently modified the iwd code to work with the brcmfmac driver. I do not know the specific changes, but now it does work with iwd. It is the latest git fixes that make it work.

Basically anything after will connect and seems to work:

065f19b4795665bf3cb0ff6ab8b2ceb4d3041678

So, conforming to iwd was not necessary as iwd adapted to brcmfmac.

How about adding 4 way SAE handshake for wpa3 mode? That still does not work.

0 Likes
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Thanks for your feedback. But WPA3 handshake is supported only via wpa_supplicant.

0 Likes