AP mode, cannot disable the 11n (HT capabilities) with CYW43430

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
avd
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First solution authored First reply posted

Hi,

With an another wireless module that support 802.11b and 802.11g, I could change the band through the hostapd configuration by setting the hostapd parameter hw_mode to b or g.

With the CYW43430, I am trying to do the same between 11b, 11g and 11n. But the settings are not taken into account.

As I understand, the hostapd parameter ieee80211n can be used to enable or disable the 11n. If I try to disable the 11n (I set ieee80211n to n and  hw_mode is g) and restart hostapd, the network scanning from another device (with iw scan) says the AP is still "bgn" and HT capabilities are enabled:

[...]
HT capabilities:
Capabilities: 0x21
RX LDPC
HT20
Static SM Power Save
RX HT20 SGI
No RX STBC
Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
No DSSS/CCK HT40
Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 16 usec (0x07)
HT RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-7
HT TX MCS rate indexes are undefined
[...]

It should not if the parameter was really taken into account. Is it normal ? What am I missing ?

Best regards,

Anthony.

0 Likes
1 Solution
avd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sharn-Lin,

The parameter disable_11n is not available in my hostapd version too. It was added in hostapd source code 1 year and 5 month ago. And since, no version was release. The 2.9 was released 2 years.

* eee0d242b - (1 year, 5 months ago) hostapd: Add ability to disable HT/VHT/HE per BSS - Shay Bar

I could give a try with the git master version... just to see if there is a change. Or maybe I could patch my 2.9 to handle this parameter and be able to disable HT.

Anthony.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Sharn-Lin
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - Avnet
25 sign-ins First like given 5 replies posted

Hi Anthony,

how about add below parameters

disable_ht=1
disable_ht40=1

thanks,

Sharn

0 Likes
avd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sharn-Lin,

I tried to add these parameters as you suggested but these parameters are unknown for my hostapd version (2.9).

With your same idea, I tried to set "ht_capab" to an empty value but the AP was still see as a b/g/n access point. The config I used:

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=AnthonyWireless
channel=1
ieee80211n=0
ht_capab=
hw_mode=g

auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=hellothere
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

Anthony.

0 Likes
Sharn-Lin
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - Avnet
25 sign-ins First like given 5 replies posted

Hi Anthony,

Try this 

disable_11n=1

0 Likes
avd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sharn-Lin,

The parameter disable_11n is not available in my hostapd version too. It was added in hostapd source code 1 year and 5 month ago. And since, no version was release. The 2.9 was released 2 years.

* eee0d242b - (1 year, 5 months ago) hostapd: Add ability to disable HT/VHT/HE per BSS - Shay Bar

I could give a try with the git master version... just to see if there is a change. Or maybe I could patch my 2.9 to handle this parameter and be able to disable HT.

Anthony.

0 Likes