AP-STA-CONNECTED event in WPA2/WPA3 connection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
yasa_4608926
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
250 sign-ins 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

I am running as a SoftAP using the following.

- FMAC v4.14.77-2020_0115 (https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-19000)

- CYW4343W (SDIO)

- Hostapd v2.9 (fmac patches applied)

My application is using the AP-STA-CONNECTED event to detect that the new connection is established.

In no-security mode, it can receive the AP-STA-CONNECTED event from hostapd when the STA connection is established.

But, if using WPA2(or WPA3) as the security mode, it does not receive the AP-STA-CONNECTED event when the STA connection is established.

I think the reason is that the 4-way handshake/SAE authentication are offloaded. Because it can receive the AP-STA-CONNECTED event if offloading is disabled.

How should the hostapd source code be modified to use the AP-STA-CONNECTED event?

Or should I use another event?

Are there any other events available to detect that the STA connections is established?

Best regards,

Yasa

0 Likes
2 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

You can check the EVENT_NEW_STA in drv_callbacks.c. This will call hostapd_event_new_sta()->hostapd_new_assoc_sta() to notify that a new station associated with the AP.

0 Likes
yasa_4608926
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
250 sign-ins 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think the 4-way handshake offloading is complete when the EVENT_NEW_STA event occurs.

I want to detect that the STA is connected to the AP, same as the AP-STA-CONNECTED event.

(That means the 4-way handshake is complete and the connection is successful.)

Best regards,

Yasa

0 Likes